Fresh install failed to start d-bus system message bus

Hello there.
I used Manjaro previously, then switched to nixOS to try it for a while, and now im coming back to Manjaro.
Did a fresh install with manual partitioning, keeping the same partition scheme (and mount points) that I had on my previous Manjaro and nixOS install. That is separate partitions for / , /boot/efi , /var , /home.
Installation succeeds without issues, but when I reboot, i get [FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus System Message Bus. (and every that depends on it, Network Manager, Light DM, etc)

help appreciated

So, If i do a reinstall, the issue persists.
If I do a reinstall but dont mount the previous home partition, it boots correctly.
I’ve run manjaro-chroot -a and ensure that home dir has the right permissions.
reinstall mounting previous home partition, and dbus fails again.
I cant even log in, if I change the tty, its black and frozen.

Im not sure how to keep debugging this issue

another update
inside chroot, checked xorg logs, and see the following
dbus-core: error connecting to system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer (Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused)

… perhaps an old .iso you installed from?

Is the system up to date?

Did you run updates to bring it up to current?

how did you check those logs?
(less /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?)

context (before and after) might be important …

• the iso was downloaded today.
  • The system is not up to date because I cant log in. Through chroot if I try to update nvidia conflicts prevent it “installing nvidia-utils (525.89.02-1) breaks dependecy ‘nvidia-utils=520.56.06’ required by linux519-nvidia” . this is weird because the installed kernel is 6.1.1
  • Yes, i checked the logs through less /var/log/Xorg.0.log in chroot

Ill try removing the package and running an update
thanks for your reply

With Nvidia issues I cannot be of assistance.

Nvidia presumably interfered with your update attempt.

There are … many … Nvidia related issues here described and also many of them resolved.

So:
the title of the thread is probably misleading - as it is more likely to be about a failed update related to Nvidia drivers.

Can’t be more precise, sorry!

I think i realized the issue, when keeping partitions, i did not format the root partition.
ill try a reinstall formatting every partition but home
thanks for your help anyways!

The issue was indeed not formating the root partition, thus I had old versions of all the binaries, and any update would fail.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.