FPS Strange (144 FPS => 30 FPS)

Hello,

When I try to play a game (Minecraft or steam game with Proton for example) the fps is strange:
I can run the game at 144 FPS and after a while fps down to 30FPS for a while and return to 144 FPS and that infinitely, in Minecraft the same, but FPS down more when I move the mouse (250FPS → 30FPS).

I notice that my GPU en CPU doesn’t use more than 50% (mangohud).

(Games are running well on Windows)

GPU : RTX 2080 Ti
CPU : Intel Core I7 7700

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

:thinking:

I have had a similar problem, what fixed it for me as lowering my mouse’s DPI to the minimum. I have no idea why, but it works for me.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum you two :wave: sounds like some weird science, subscribing to this topic!

1 Like

Hey there,

Some people are having issues due to the mouse polling rate and the symptoms are pretty much what you experience - when you move the mouse the frame rate drops.

You can try to read a bit more:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mouse_polling_rate

You can check if your mouse is supported and that tool can help you out:

I personally have 2 Glorious Model O and D mice that I use (one is configured with 125Hz and the other is 1000Hz) and luckily I have no issue with both of them in games - I acknowledge that this is specific for my hardware setup, tho so YMMV.

For the WINE/Proton issue that could be it, but he says he has similar issue in Minecraft which I believe doesn’t run in WINE but with JAVA.

Anyway if you want to try the ‘fix’ for the WINE issue with mouse polling rate, simply add usbhid.mousepoll=8 to your GRUB command line. You can also try to plug the mouse to a USB 2 port if you have one.