[Forum Usage] Discourse Tips and Tricks

Yes, I did. That’s why I posted the Disco Duck. :stuck_out_tongue:

:musical_note: :duck: :musical_note:

I wasn’t sure if you were only being facetious. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Special usability feature for newer users

A new forum feature has been proposed wherein if a user fails to enclose exceptionally long command output within a scrolling preformatted text box, a (non-lethal) electrical charge is subsequently transmitted through the USB subsystem to the keyboard, thereby warning that user of their oversight.

A safety protocol override has also been suggested for particularly obnoxious users.

Disclaimer: This proposed feature is submitted strictly for entertainment value.

3 Likes

HTML Acronyms

Using the html <abbr> element.

UEFI
UUID

HTML Acronyms (code)
<abbr title="Unified Extensible Firmware Interface">UEFI</abbr>
<abbr title="Universally Unique Identifier">UUID</abbr>
1 Like

Seems you are having trouble showing the tics in your examples.

You can use backslashes for that.

Doubling up I will show using the [quote] tag
(which can be useful when quoting randomly formatted text instead of many > prefaces);

Above looks like:

[quote]
\`\`\`code
wedwfewfe
\`\`\`
[/quote]

I wasn’t sure if [quote] was supported, at first. I usually escape the backticks, but sometimes, it doesn’t seem to work quite as expected. Have I missed one somewhere?

This example does not actually show the tics.

Fixed. The backslash escaped ticks show the backslashes when within yet another backticked enclosure.

Placing it all within a ~~~ enclosure solved that.

It may be that user browser security configs (and/or extensions) tend to block or hinder whichever code highlighting method is used, in some instances.

Not mentally unhealthy at all.

:no_entry:

I’m sure he doesn’t give two Ducks; unless they come with a Goose.

Two ducks? Goose? What?

DuckDuckGo

The healthiest internet search engine

:duck: :duck: :goose:

Disappointing…

a Whole lot of protein.

Forum Keyboard Shortcuts

At the bottom of the Site menu is a button that launches a modal window listing keyboard shortcuts available for use on the Manjaro forum.

Due to an unfortunate design condition, this button is obfuscated when all disclosure dropdowns are expanded, and can be easily overlooked.

The Site menu

I could probably fix this (only needed in the desktop layout) using only CSS/SCSS, if I could obtain a copy of the relevant stylesheets.

2 Likes

Interesting - this doesn’t show off without scrolling to the bottom, I never saw that!
Shift+? gets it quicker :wink:

1 Like

Which doesn’t solve the issue.

Though, I did mean to add that to the Tips and Tricks; thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

:anchor: Anchors away…

The HTML anchor construct can be used in Discourse as easily as it is on a typical HTML document. These anchors can help in linking to a specific section of a post. Structurally, anchors are much like a HTML link, however, without the href attribute.

Goto anchor

Link and Anchor (code)

<a href="#ankhor-morpork">Goto anchor</a>
<a name="ankhor-morpork"></a>

:anchor:

The turtle moves.

It’s turtles all the way down…

Thanks to @tracyanne for reminding me of that one.

a Scale model:

3 Likes

They’re actually Shells, but… :rofl: