Formatting and reinstalling Manjaro

Probably I’m going to experiment with another desktop environment this time and an image that’s not generic but specially designed for pine book pro. What do I have to do to erase my eMMC?

Hi,

To build your own Manjaro arm image have a look here

Manjaro arm devices list, I hope more in the future

am6-plus
clockworkpi-a06
edgev
g1-tpc
generic
generic-efi
gsking-x
gt1-ultimate
gtking-pro
halium-9
jetson-nano
m5
nanopc-t4
nanopi-neo-plus2
oc2
oc4
ohc4
om1
on2
on2-plus
opi3-lts
opi4-lts
opi5
opi-800
pbpro
pbpro-bsp
pine64
pine64-lts
pinebook
pine-h64
pinenote
pinephone
pinephonepro
pinetab
pinetab2
quartz64-a
quartz64-b
radxa-zero
radxa-zero2
roc-cc
rock3a
rock64
rockpi4b
rockpi4c
rockpro64
rpi4
rpi4-cutiepi
soquartz-cm4
station-m2
station-m3
stationp1
station-p2
vim1
vim2
vim3
vim3l

The PineBook Pro is already on that device list. AIUI, the OP’s question was not about building a custom image, but about installing one that is already built.

And to answer the actual question:

You do not have to do anything special to erase the eMMC: if you dd one of the specific images to the device (and dd is the only documented way to install those), it will automatically erase everything that was previously on the eMMC (which also implies that if there is any data you want to keep, you must backup it before you overwrite the eMMC). That is how dd works. A separate formatting step is thus not needed.

1 Like

What does DD mean?

Search engines of your choice are your friend :upside_down_face::

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dd

1 Like

Just finished making a new image (this time for pb pro) on my SD card and started the installation just like I did before. However after removing the SD card the installation procedure doesn’t start as it started before. It seems that the old desktop environment (KDE) is still there. And it’s not doing that it’s also the password which seems to have changed. I can’t even log on my old manjaro at least to check if it’s still there. What have I done wrong?

I need a command to erase all partitions and start from scratch

Ok. Done. Wiped all partitions. Only problem is that this time installation doesn’t start after removing the SD card. When I first installed Manjaro it firstly installed the whole thing on the external memory and then after removing it, it started the second time on the internal. Power is on but screen remains black.