Fix for GTK flatpak apps fonts and formatting looking terrible

Hi,

Just wanted to share a fix for GTK Flatpak’s looking terrible on Manjaro (font not antialiased, correct size, cursor wrong etc.)

If you install Flatseal from flathub it will display the issue on vanilla Manjaro.

The issue is fixed if xdg-desktop-portal-gtk package from the official repo’s (extra) is installed (and the computer rebooted). Visually it is night and day.

I was wondering if the package could be installed with Manjaro as default given Manjaro’s support for flatpaks. This would greatly improve the flatpak experience on Manjaro.

1 Like

Have to ask why xdg-desktop-portal instead of xdg-desktop-portal-gtk or xdg-desktop-portal-kde is installed?

From what I understand xdg-desktop-portal is a front end for the other more specialized implementations on the back end (the gnome, gtk, kde specific packages).

Gtk3 and earlier apps in particular seem to need the xdg-desktop-portal-gtk package.

Not sure I understand flatpaks portals enough to fully understand.

There’s an explanation on their Github

Thanks @ebits21. Saved my day, like you said, without xdg-desktop-portal-gtk package, the gtk-apps installed via Flathub (e.g., LibreOffice) look terrible, now they’re awesome! Thanks!

Which flavor? GNOME already includes xdg-desktop-portal-gnome and KDE already includes xdg-desktop-portal-kde. I just added xdg-desktop-portal-gtk to Xfce.

Either way, it’s really up to the user to choose the proper implementation of xdg-desktop-portal.