First startup after installation is fine but if I reboot Manjaro freezes

Hello.

Decided to try my hand at a linux distro for the first time earlier this morning and decided to go with Manjaro Plasma Desktop, basically because I liked the look of it when browsing for options.

As specified in the topic live boot from USB is fine, installation is fine and the OS runs smoothly on the first startup after installation. But as soon as I need to reboot or relog for any reason Manjaro freezes up. It’s a complete freeze on my second monitor, on my primary monitor I can make the taskbar menu open up with the windows-key on my keyboard but I cant control it with the arrow keys. The mouse cursor won’t show up either so can’'t use that.

I’m currently on a live boot USB which is running smoothly, so my question is basically what information I need to provide you with and how I access that information to get some help, friendly reminder that I’m a total newbie at anything Linux.

edit: First time I messed around quite a bit before needing to reboot for one of the packages I installed so I don’t really remember all the steps I took on that run.

Second time I tried only resorting my screens, switching the theme to Breath Dark, switching my terminal to the same theme and installing the updates with sudo pacman -Syyu. Still had the problem.

The only steps I took before attempting a reboot on my last time around was booting into the OS, switching my theme and sorting my screens.

so are you still in the live usb, or in your normal installation?

Still on the live usb, normal installation still freezes on startup.

For clarification I will stay on the live USB until I get some kind of instruction or tip on what to do

so provide logs:
journalctl -b-1 -p5 --no-pager

1 Like

i see there some noveau issues, post output from:
inxi -xG
mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l && mhwd -li

1 Like

inxi -xG
12Graphics:
12Device-1 NVIDIA TU106 [GeForce RTX 2060 Rev. A] 12vendor ASUSTeK 12driver nouveau 12v kernel
12arch Turing 12bus-ID 08:00.0
12Display 12server X.org 12v 1.21.1.3 12driver 12X 12loaded modesetting 12gpu nouveau 12resolution 121 1920x1080
122 1920x1080
12Message GL data unavailable for root.

mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l && mhwd -li
Currently running: 5.15.49-1-MANJARO (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

• linux515

0000:08:00.0 (0300:10de:1f08) Display controller nVidia Corporation:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

video-nvidia            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-nvidia-470xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI
       video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
 video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
        video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

Installed PCI configs:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

so uninstall this:
mhwd -r pci video-linux
install this:
mhwd -i pci video-nvidia
exit
reboot and boot normally into your installation and reboot and see if it freezes

1 Like

All right, I will try this. I’ll return with results.

This seems to have done it, you are truly a gentleman and a scholar!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.