Firefox VAAPI display issues

I’m having display bugs in Firefox 106.0.4 since the last update. When a status bar message disappears, parts of the webpage stop rendering, showing my desktop’s background instead.

Here’s how I reproduce it:

  1. Open a webpage that contains links.
  2. Hover a link so that the url is displayed in the bottom left corner (status bar).
  3. Let the mouse leave the link so that the status bar disappears.

Upon doing so, a rectangle area of the page becomes transparent. It comes back after a few seconds, or sometimes when moving the mouse around or scrolling the page.

Things to consider:

  • I’ve disabled all extensions but the problem persists.
  • I’m using Manjaro Cinnamon on VMWare (Windows host).
  • My laptop, which uses the same Manjaro Cinnamon but on baremetal, has no problem at all.
  • Everything was working fine before the last update.

When launching Firefox from a terminal, I get the following error messages:

[GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.

As I said, disabling all extensions (and restart) didn’t help, but starting firefox with -safe-mode seems to work. I still get the glxtest error but hovering links doesn’t break the page anymore.

The extensions I’m using are:
First Party Isolation, HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript (but JS filter is disabled), Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Violentmonkey.

-safe-mode disables the extensions and all custom settings. So maybe, the problem comes from one of these settings?

Addendum 2:
I tried Help->Troubleshooting->Refresh Firefox (which removes all extensions and settings) but the display is still bugged.
So basically, Refresh Firefox doesn’t help while -safe-mode (which should do the same) fixes the bug (at least, I can’t seem to be able to reproduce it).

So far, disabling Firefox’s hardware acceleration is the only solution. I guess I’ll just leave it off.

What I tried:

  1. Downgrade Firefox
  2. Disable all extensions
  3. Start with a new profile
  4. Upgrade VMWare from 16 to 17
  5. Update the host OS (Windows Enterprise LTSC)
  6. Reinstall Manjaro Cinnamon and touch nothing
  7. Upgrade host’s video drivers (nVidia both Game Ready and Whatever-Ready)
  8. Install libva-mesa-drvier, libva-vdpau-driver, mesa-vdpau

None of the above fixed it. Only disabling the hardware acceleration worked.
If someone wants to try to reproduce the bug, I’m using Win LTSC as host, a nVidia 1080Ti gfx card, VMWare Player 17, Manjaro Cinnamon, vmware set to boot with uefi (setting firmware=efi)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.