Firefox Hardware Video Acceleration

My processor is AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with iGpu. I want the igpu to be used during youtube & other video playbacks in the browser. I also have a discrete gpu but don’t want to use that as that will use much more power. I am on Xorg with kernel 5.15.

Hi @Computer_Email23,

Take a look here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Firefox#Hardware_video_acceleration

Or here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Chromium#Hardware_video_acceleration

1 Like

Yup I have seen them… But I am confused in the part that says install drivers for ur video card… I want to utilise the igpu which is amd gpu, so the driver should already b in the kernel.

Then there’s nothing to install.

1 Like
vainfo                                                                                                                                                   ✔ 
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.13 (libva 2.13.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 21.3.4 for AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.42.0, 5.15.16-1-MANJARO, LLVM 13.0.0)
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile2            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointVideoProc

OK? Looks installed/enabled/working to me.

1 Like

Set the following flags in about:config:

Note: on Firefox 96 only setting media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled and media.rdd-ffmpeg.enabled to true should be necessary. Many below preferences no longer need to be set since the RDD sandbox was mostly fixed. However, some issues still remain [9].

Note: starting from Firefox 97, only setting media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled to true should be necessary.[10]

• media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled to true in order to enable the use of VA-API with FFmpeg.
  • media.ffvpx.enabled to false to disable the internal decoders for VP8/VP9. This is necessary despite this bug being fixed [11][12].
  • media.navigator.mediadatadecoder_vpx_enabled to true to enable hardware VA-API decoding for WebRTC [13].
  • media.rdd-vpx.enabled to false to disable the remote data decoder process for VP8/VP9. Firefox attempts to use the RDD process for VP8/VP9 but the RDD sandbox blocks VA-API access [14]. Disabling the remote data decoder for VP8/VP9 process means VA-API will run in the content process instead. In Firefox 96 mostly working support for running VA-API in the RDD process was added.

I have firefox 96.0.3

so only 2 things need 2 b enabled???

on Firefox 96 only setting media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled and media.rdd-ffmpeg.enabled to true should be necessary

Apparently so.

1 Like

4K60 YouTube Video Running

with 4k60 utube video previously cpu usage was around 60% to 70% on all cores. Now it is around 15-20%… I think it is working

Again Thank you very much

Do I have to keep changing settings with new firefox updates? i.e.firefox 97 update.

I don’t think so. But check andmake sure with the update.

1 Like

can I also render webpages with hardware acceleration in firefox? offloading the load from cpu should cause better browsing experience as well as better battery life.

Not AFAIK.

1 Like