Firefox and Chrome don't use my current KDE theme

I have recently installed Manjaro with KDE Plasma and I have noticed that compared to my previous distro which was Kubuntu, Firefox and Chrome don’t use my current KDE theme, they stick with the default one instead

This is important for me, because I use a window decoration which I love and the default background of windows in Manjaro, is a bit darker than Kubuntu, therefore there’s a bit of color difference between window’s background and window’s decoration. Sorry, I just don’t like it, so I prefer to have the exact color for everything. This can be fixed by going to System Settings > Colours > Edit Color Schene and changing every color to the desired one.

But again, Firefox and Chrome don’t use my current KDE theme, so my solution only works for other apps. As I said, this is something it didn’t happen to me on Kubuntu 20.04. If I switched to a dark theme, Firefox also became dark (and I think Chrome too)

What can I do?

P.S: I would show you screenshots for a better understanding of what’s happening, but this forum doesn’t let me post images nor url links from imgur.

Have you tried Falkon?

both firefox and chrome are GTK-apps, so they won’t use the QT-Theme. Have you set the GNOME/GTK Application Style in the system settings Application Style page? It’s a button at the bottom of the page (i had to search for it, too in the new design of the system settings ^^)

4 Likes

Hi,

There is the KDE Addon which might help, and in the AUR is OpenSUSE version.

Hopefully this is helpful, but dang this is why I use XFCE :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The addon is great and highly recommended, but it’s not about looks but integration, for example to provide media controls :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks y’all!

Well, I have just installed the addon and after restarting Firefox I’m getting this error:
`Failed to connect to the native host.
Make sure the plasma-browser-integration package is installed and that you are running Plasma 5.13 or later.

No such native application org.kde.plasma.browser_integration.`

Have you set the GNOME/GTK Application Style in the system settings Application Style page?

Yes, I have already set it on Chrome (I also had to do it on Kubuntu) and it’s using my current KDE theme either.

Have you tried Falkon?

Is this another web browser?

but dang this is why I use XFCE

I’m honestly considering it… I love KDE, but if XFCE has good integration with themes, then I might switch to it as I dislike the default window decorations in KDE.

You can usually find a firefox theme in the add-ons to match. I am using one of the new manjaro themes matcha-dark-aliz including the gtk theme and the default firefox theme on firefox 81 picks up the theme colours ok.

1 Like

You can usually find a firefox theme in the add-ons to match. I am using one of the new manjaro themes matcha-dark-aliz including the gtk theme and the default firefox theme on firefox 81 picks up the theme colours ok.

Too late :sweat_smile: I have just tried XFCE version and I’m honestly loving it… Looks like all the apps have good integration with the theme and I like the default window decorations as well. Thanks anyway! :wink:

Edit: I guess I’m accepting @BusinessOrc’s solution as he suggested about using XFCE.

Yes, and it is in the repos. It is more likely to use the current theme as it is a Qt app, but if not, they would consider ignoring the KDE theme to be a bug.

Never quite got XFCE. Bit too Windows 98 looking for me…

1 Like

It’s basic, reliable, comfortable, out of the way and most importantly, it works.

2 Likes

Or you could use Vivaldi which has a native window option and is very powerful in general.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.