Finishing the install process after I let makepkg time out (whoops!)

I’m installing IceCat manually (git clone + makepkg -is). The package took a long time to compile, so i let makepkg run while i went AFK. When I came back, it had timed out waiting for a password:

[lots and lots of stuff]
==> Creating package "icecat"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .BUILDINFO file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: icecat 78.12.0-1 (Sun 15 Aug 2021 03:52:15 PM CDT)
==> Installing package icecat with pacman -U...
[sudo] password for [my username]: 
sudo: timed out reading password
sudo: a password is required
==> WARNING: Failed to install built package(s).

I think I should be able to run pacman -U [something] to install icecat, but i’ve tried sudo pacman -U icecat and sudo pacman -U icecat-78.12.0-1 to no avail (pacman says the target doesn’t exist). I ran these commands in the icecat directory (where I had downloaded and unpacked it, not a system directory). Is there a command I can run to install icecat? Should I move to a different directory and then run sudo pacman -U icecat? Or do I need to redo the entire build process (turning off the su timeout first)?

Sidenote: I ran the build process a few times because it kept timing out on different steps. This was the first success. (I am now realizing multiple runs may have been sloppy.) Should I run something to clean up any duplicate files it may have created?

Since it is an archive, use the full name like that:

sudo pacman -U icecat-78.12.0-1.tar.zst
1 Like

It worked! Thank you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.