FIngerprint Login KDE & Dell Latitude 7480

I have a Dell Latitude 7480 and of course Manjaro using the KDE GUI. I have seen some posts and otherwise conversations about fingerprint login which hasn’t been a big deal from my prospective, but recently circumstances have changed for me where sometimes my one arm/hand are preoccupied mainly with 2 sleeping puppies and logging in with a single finger would be easier.

So the usual Googling and such has not proven fruitful, nor do i know if its even possible. Linux is usually about a decade behind for a number of factors but there has been a little buzz of late about this capability.

Anyone have a Dell and have their fingerprint login working?

$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f3:22d7 Elan Microelectronics Corp. Touchscreen
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp. Bluetooth wireless interface
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c45:6715 Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0a5c:5834 Broadcom Corp. 5880
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
$ 

I read an article that KDE is implementing a native fingerprint tool in 5.21 here:
https://www.debugpoint.com/2020/11/kde-plasma-5-21-fingerprint-manager/

I have also read some posts here that say KDE is not quite there yet without installing 3rd party siftware which i would rather not do if KDE will soon be releasing a native tool.

Any got any info on the situation?

Is that so?

:man_facepalming:

From what it looks like to me, you are the one running “a little behind”.

The current version of KDE Plasma in the Manjaro Stable branch is 5.21.5, and in order to get there, we’ve gone through versions 5.21.0, 5.21.1, 5.21.2, 5.21.3 and 5.21.4. If you were really running Manjaro with KDE Plasma, then you’d know that.

Anyway, there is at present time no native fingerprint authentication in Plasma yet, so if you do need that, then you must install fingerprint-gui from the AUR. :arrow_down:

pamac build fingerprint-gui

Do however read the instructions at the Arch Wiki.

Its easy enough to use the password. I’ll wait but thank you for the link and instructions. I used those exact instructions on Debian which I have in a dual boot with Manjaro.

Linux is behind on many things as i said for a number of factors such as volunteer devs, kernel updates, propitiatory drivers and other proprietary development such as streaming services. Remember Silverlite for Netflix? Lets take the subject of this post for example. Fingerprint login has been around for at least 10 years, touch screens, gaming, and the list goes on and on. I’m not complaining, I’m just stating a fact and honestly its an easy sacrifice for all the other benefits of GNU/Linux. Everyone knows things are developed for Windows and MAC (but Windows more so) by the manufacturers and eventually the incredible global group of willing Linux devs catches up so I would like to redirect that face plant from a moderator’s hurt feelings right back at ya. Don’t get your panties in a bunch my friend. It’s not worth getting upset about.

I am on the KDE 5.21.5 so you can lick my dirty keyboard. Attached is a screenshot to prove it since for some ludicrous reason your questioning my integrity.

Thanks again Gents and gals. Always an adventure here on the Manjaro forums. Questions always answered and some moderator or someone always getting upset. Par for the course I suppose…

It’s not the fault of the GNU/Linux developers that certain companies wish to reserve their technology for their corporate partners ─ in practice, this usually means Microsoft, although Apple has some support from the proprietary world as well.

For your information, GNU/Linux isn’t simply developed by volunteers. There are big corporations assigning lots of developers and spending lots of money on the development of GNU/Linux. But not everyone plays by the book ─ Nvidia being one of those who don’t.

Android has been around for a very long time already, and last I checked, just about every modern Android phone has a fingerprint reader. Android may not be GNU/Linux ─ because it doesn’t contain any GNU software ─ but it does run off of a (modified) Linux kernel.

Gaming has also already long been possible on GNU/Linux, but those were native GNU/Linux games, while dedicated gamers tend to lean toward games exclusively designed for Windows. The Steam framework is intended to make running those games on GNU/Linux possible, but this is not native GNU/Linux software.

It’s a facepalm, not a face plant, and the fact that I’m a moderator here doesn’t exclude me from having my own opinions. Your post contained untrue and unnecessarily trollish comments, and that’s what I was responding to.

If you don’t like what I’m saying, then perhaps you’d want to try your luck at the Arch forum. Let’s see how long you’d last there with comments like that.

Trollish comments are not testimonial of integrity. You reap what you sow.

You forgot to mention the newbies-with-an-attitude we get around here.

Anyway, this thread has run its course. You’ve inquired about how to set up a fingerprint reader and you’ve been given the instructions. Case closed.

2 Likes