File Dragging to Browser Applications Results in Endless Tabs

Hello everyone,

I’m currently experiencing a problem when dragging files from my file manager to applications that run via browser, such as Gmail. After I drag the file, an uninterrupted series of tabs are activated, causing a bit of chaos. The tabs only stop after I hit the ESC key, but by then, the damage has already been done.

I’ve searched the internet for similar issues but was unable to find any solutions. I’ve also tried using different file managers, including Thunar, Nemo, and Nautilus, but the problem persists.

Before resorting to a complete system reinstallation, I wanted to ask for your help. Have any of you experienced a similar issue before or have any suggestions for a potential solution?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Manjaro Linux x86_64
Kernel: 6.1.12-1-MANJARO
Shell: zsh 5.9
GNOME 43.3

I don’t use gmail but I do use a mail client which accepts drag’n’drop.

I have never experienced what you do - so one is thinking - browser issue.

One thing is certain though - it is not a widespread issue - otherwise the forum would have been flooded.

One way of getting closer to a solution - close all browsers - then locate the troubled browsers config folder - rename the folder an launch the browser - log into your gmail and test how drag’n’drop works.

If the issue continue - then it could be the file manager in question - since you tagged with Gnome - Nautilus is the default.

Manjaro doesn’t develop Nautilus - Gnome developers are in charge so locate the gnome bugtracker - search the nautilus repo for similar issues.

I had the same problem, but after switching to wayland, it works perfectly

Thanks for the answer. I think the problem is not the browser or the file manager, because I’ve already tested several combinations and the result is the same. I even tested your suggestion with Firefox, renaming the .mozilla folder, which resulted in the same behavior once again.

I tested it in Thunderbird and the behavior is the same. When I drag the file from the file manager into Thunderbird it is appended but several spaces are appended to the text until I stop it with ESC.

Thanks for the answer. I already use wayland. I even thought about migrating to Xorg as a possible solution.

You’re using Wayland, but your browser might be set to run on Xorg by default. Chrome has an option to switch to Wayland. If you’re using Edge, you can check out my post Enable wayland on MS Edge - #5 by anhngzv

I have the same problem. Only with Firefox and Thunderbird too.

EDIT: Sorry, it happens with Visual Studio Code (AUR) too.

anhngzv, you nailed it! This solved the problem.

Now I will have to include --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland in chromium and electron-based apps.

I didn’t know these apps didn’t run natively on Wayland.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.