Fan is not working also system shutdown automatically in between use

As the title describes that my fan is not working, noticed it recently, and I think that’s why my system shuts down automatically, plz help newbie here. and sorry for my bad English.

Hi!
Check in your bios if it’s really working, or fiscally. Then install lm_sensros, run sensors-detect and check if it show

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Well, then I guess you’re going to have to replace the fan, or have someone else do it for you. Overheating is very bad for your circuitry and can ruin your processor. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s working fine on window 10, but “sensors” it’s not showing fan RPM

It’s working fine for window 10 and I don’t think its fan problem, also It’s not showing fan “RPM” while running “sensor” command. so I think it could not be a fan problem It might be some software problem.

also I don’t use this system for heavy work so there is no chance for overheating.

The system fans are normally controlled by the firmware, not by the operating system. If it works in Windows, then I don’t know why that is the case.

If your system is automatically shutting down while your fans are known not to work, then that most certainly is overheating. And if you continue using it like that, then your CPU won’t last for very long anymore.

:man_shrugging:

(Thread title sanitized and thread moved from #desktop-environments:Plasma to #support:general.)

okay I get it what you are saying. and Thankyou for your help. but why fan “RPM” not showing

Maybe the kernel doesn’t have a driver for your fan’s sensor? We don’t know what motherboard you have, or what processor, or what storage, or… well, anything at all, really. You haven’t told us. :man_shrugging:

maybe the kernel doesn’t have support for fan sensor. it’s possible.

I can provide you all the details of my system but doesn’t know the command for it.

try inxi -Fxxxza

1 Like

Kernel: 5.4.60-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0
parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 root=UUID=3b26a01a-da19-48fe-892a-84ab29a63222 rw quiet apparmor=1
security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.4 tk: Qt 5.15.0 info: latte-dock wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire A515-51G v: V1.10 serial:
Mobo: KBL model: Charmander_KL v: V1.10 serial: UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: 1.10 date: 08/22/2017
Battery: ID-1: BAT1 charge: 37.0 Wh condition: 37.5/48.9 Wh (77%) volts: 16.8/15.2 model: COMPAL PABAS0241231 type: Li-ion
serial: status: Charging
CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-8250U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake family: 6 model-id: 8E (142)
stepping: A (10) microcode: D6 L2 cache: 6144 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 28808
Speed: 900 MHz min/max: 400/1600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 900 2: 900 3: 900 4: 900 5: 900 6: 900 7: 900 8: 900
Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: Split huge pages
Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable
Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI
Type: spec_store_bypass mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling
Type: srbds mitigation: Microcode
Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected

Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A

Use the cogwheel to hide the output so it won’t be flagged. I think that’s how you are supposed to do it or use the </> button

1 Like

Hi!
Try to install kernel 5.7 and check if can read your sensors, I have an amd cpu but I couldn’t read the fan sensors until kernel 5.7 either.
About the freezing problem, check the compositor config, check if it’s set in OpenGL 3.1, also check your graphics drivers

changed kernel to 5.7 and set openGL3.1 but fan is still not detected by kernel

Hi!
The use of OpenGL is because maybe fix your freezzings.
If fan sensor doesn’t work with 5.7, it"s because the firmware doesn’t support it yet. Also you can in internet if there’s some fix for that.

okay thankyou for your help