Failure to boot Manjaro from legacy USB with BTRFS after update mkinitcpio-35.2-2 with manjaro 22.1.0-1

That’s interesting. As described before, the system containing these files was freshly installed from “manjaro-xfce-22.0.5-230316-linux61.iso” downloaded yesterday, dd-ed to USB; then just updated to 22.1.0-1 by pamac. If there are some configurations bad or old, this should be addressed to the distribution image also. I’ll follow your notes and then try with mkinitcpio 35.2-2 again.
D.

Result: After applying the changes to the files and installing the mkinitcpio upgrade (which involves the mkinitcpio and update-grub), the (fresh) system again failed to boot (message font scrambled as before - I had tried VGA instead of HDMI yesterday, still not readable; but judging from the structure, it’s the same error message for the actual uuid). D.

There’s another report of a user who also boots from exernal USB, keeping the internal drives unchanged:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cinnamon-flash-usb-stops-after-grub-after-most-recent-update-today-morning/137458/20

Did you check other version 35.1 (not 35.2) of mkinitcpio if it has the same problem?

No, I did not try that. When I stuck on that problem it was Saturday morning and pamac just showed that it would update 34.1-1 to 35.2-2. I can try. D.

Downgraded my ‘fresh’ (stable) installation to mkinitcpio-35.1-1 and stuck with the same scrambled message - very likely mount /new_root couldn’t find uuid=…
D.

2 Likes

UEFI, and my Manjaro installation is completely isolated. I mean, it has its own boot partition with everything needed to run on any computer. So I’m not sharing GRUB to run Windows, manjaro or any other OS. Each OS has its own boot manager/EFI partition, and I select each OS by selecting the device once I power on the computer.

With the update to mkinitcpio 36-2 the issue is resolved for me - after the update an update-grub ran automatically, and all my different usb installations (manjaro stable xfce btrfs on usb) do boot after this.

From today’s struggle with pamac I learned that certain updates may create files with extension .pacnew (mostly in /etc and subdirs), which may contain settings that need to be added or updated into the original configuration files like /etc/pacman.conf or /etc/default/grub e.g. if the update routine cannot handle this automatically.

1 Like