Failed To Start Virtualization Daemon

Hi folks,

I’m a complete noob at this. So please excuse me if I’ve not followed proper protocols, let me know if I need to give more info…

I’m trying to set up a VM with Virtual Machine Manager in Manjaro.

In the Virtual Machine Manager there is an entry for QEMU/KVM - Not Connected.

When I double click on it to connect I get the message…

Unable to connect to libvirt qemu:///system.

Verify that the ‘libvirtd’ daemon is running.

Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py”, line 922, in _do_open
self._backend.open(cb, data)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/connection.py”, line 153, in open
conn = libvirt.openAuth(self._open_uri,
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libvirt.py”, line 104, in openAuth
if ret is None:raise libvirtError(‘virConnectOpenAuth() failed’)
libvirt.libvirtError: Failed to connect socket to ‘/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock’: Connection refused

When I go to terminal and check the status of Libvertd I get this:

● libvirtd.service - Virtualization daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirtd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2021-01-04 19:49:30 PST; 7h left
TriggeredBy: ● libvirtd-admin.socket
● libvirtd-ro.socket
● libvirtd.socket
Docs: man:libvirtd(8)
nttq://libvirt.org
Process: 1013 ExecStart=/usr/bin/libvirtd $LIBVIRTD_ARGS (code=exited, status=3)
Main PID: 1013 (code=exited, status=3)

Jan 04 19:49:30 Manjaro-SIMBOXII systemd[1]: libvirtd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Jan 04 19:49:30 Manjaro-SIMBOXII systemd[1]: Stopped Virtualization daemon.
Jan 04 19:49:30 Manjaro-SIMBOXII systemd[1]: libvirtd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jan 04 19:49:30 Manjaro-SIMBOXII systemd[1]: libvirtd.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Jan 04 19:49:30 Manjaro-SIMBOXII systemd[1]: Failed to start Virtualization daemon.

So it looks like my Virtualization daemon isnt running; however I cannot figure out why and I cannot get it to start. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for the help and let me know if there is anything else that I need to do to make this request more understandable.

Please read this:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Virt-manager

1 Like

Hi!
Thanks for the response. I did come across that page yesterday when I was trying to figure out what was wrong. I didnt see anything on there that was out side of what I had already attempted in setting up this Virtual Machine. Was there something in particular that you saw in error messages that I had posted that suggests the potential source of the problem?

I did just (again) follow the instructions on that page to install and then restart the service. It did seem to find some packages that it wanted to update, so I let it proceed. I then shut down and re-started because I read that helped some other people. I then went back into Virtual Machine Manager and tried to establish a new connection QEMU/KVM User Session" as directed on that page and once again got the response that I was unable to connect to the Libvirtd QEMU session and that I should verify that the libvirtd daemon is running. Although the error message is different…

Unable to connect to libvirt qemu:///session.

Verify that the ‘libvirtd’ daemon is running.

Libvirt URI is: qemu:///session

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py”, line 922, in _do_open
self._backend.open(cb, data)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/connection.py”, line 153, in open
conn = libvirt.openAuth(self._open_uri,
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libvirt.py”, line 104, in openAuth
if ret is None:raise libvirtError(‘virConnectOpenAuth() failed’)
libvirt.libvirtError: Failed to connect socket to ‘/run/user/1000/libvirt/libvirt-sock’: No such file or directory