"Failed to start Powerdevil." ; "libKExiv2: Cannot load metadata from file"

Hello!

I’ve recently experienced 2 crashes, and I’ve tried to look at the log using journalctl after the second one. the screens were a mess of colors and lines, no response to menu superkey. Here’s what I found, with the command journalctl -p 3 -b

1. a cycle that takes six minutes, repeated indefinitely. The log is completely bloated by that. I don’t think it’s the cause of the crash, since it doesn’t prevent the computer from working at other times :
abr 19 22:15:59 jorge-machine systemd[984]: Failed to start Powerdevil.
abr 19 22:16:01 jorge-machine libddcutil[7137]: busno=8, sleep-multiplier= 1,00, Testing for unsupported feature 0xdd returned Error_Info[DDCRC_RETRIES in ddc_write_read_with_retry, causes: DDCRC_DDC_DATA(10)]
abr 19 22:16:01 jorge-machine libddcutil[7137]: Turning off dynamic sleep and retrying
abr 19 22:16:02 jorge-machine libddcutil[7137]: busno=8, sleep-multiplier = 1,00, Retesting for unsupported feature 0xdd returned Error_Info[DDCRC_RETRIES in ddc_write_read_with_retry, causes: DDCRC_DDC_DATA(10)]
abr 19 22:16:03 jorge-machine libddcutil[7137]: busno=8, sleep-multiplier= 1,00, Testing for unsupported feature 0x41 returned Error_Info[DDCRC_RETRIES in ddc_write_read_with_retry, causes: DDCRC_DDC_DATA(10)]
abr 19 22:16:03 jorge-machine libddcutil[7137]: Turning off dynamic sleep and retrying
abr 19 22:16:04 jorge-machine libddcutil[7137]: busno=8, sleep-multiplier = 1,00, Retesting for unsupported feature 0x41 returned Error_Info[DDCRC_RETRIES in ddc_write_read_with_retry, causes: DDCRC_DDC_DATA(10)]

1. error messages about libKExiv2, perhaps related to those crashes, if i look at the time stamps, and also by the fact I did not see anything else in the log :
abr 19 22:16:06 jorge-machine kioslave5[7235]: libKExiv2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # %1: The file contains data of an unknown image type )
abr 19 22:16:06 jorge-machine kioslave5[7235]: libKExiv2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # %1: The file contains data of an unknown image type )

How to solve both those issues?

Well I can say that I dont have the same failures.

In case there are unsupported packages at play maybe we can check;

pacman -Qm

Due to the kioslave/file messages … I might check things like external devices, storage, and such.

PS.

Other thoughts might include things like a partial-upgrade state.
I notice your profile states your kernel is 6.4 - that kernel is EOL for a long time but maybe the profile data is old?

PPS.

Have I mentioned before that I was surprised to see a Pastafarian on these boards?
I too enjoy colanders. :wink:

Thanks for the input! I updated my profile. May His noodly appendices grant you blessings and comfort in these trying times!

I have some packages that are not supported. I uninstalled two of them - Kazam and brightness-controller-git. The last one seemed to be a very good culprit candidate, that I probably installed (trying) to work around the upstream bug some time ago, and that I forgot to uninstall. However, I still have the powerdevil error messages after restarting the computer. I have two screens, and if I remember correctly, it’s a configuration that isn’t well supported. Perhaps it’s ‘just’ that?