Failed to start Load Kernel Modules / GRUB restore

Hello everyone,

This is the error message i get on boot. I understand something went while trying to install some programs with conflicting dependencies but this is all i know for sure…
I have booted into my system with a Manjaro live USB and i understand that i need to fix something in the booting sequence, i have read topics from the forum and wiki about grub restore etc but i got lost in “chroot” paragraphs

i believe i need some guidance here…
this is the output from lsblk:

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 78.4M 1 loop /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1 7:1 0 568.8M 1 loop /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2 7:2 0 1.3G 1 loop /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3 7:3 0 630.5M 1 loop /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda 8:0 0 119.2G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 7.8G 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 300M 0 part
└─sda3 8:3 0 111.1G 0 part
sdb 8:16 0 465.8G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 465.8G 0 part /run/media/manjaro/f37e4928-67cb-484d-9176-0089
sdc 8:32 1 14.8G 0 disk /run/miso/bootmnt
├─sdc1 8:33 1 2.6G 0 part
└─sdc2 8:34 1 4M 0 part
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

Hello @vbakalis :wink:

Without knowing which module I could only grab my glass globe… :crystal_ball:

By the recent changes… i would believe it is nvidia :smiley:

Hi @megavolt,

Yes i remember it was a nvidia package conflicting. Is there a solution to this?
I am trying to find out what exactly is my disks configuration and where is the /boot section installed in order to apply this solution
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

You should post the error message you get. Maybe you don’t need to restore grub at all.

Hi, thanks for your reply
The error message i get is
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

@vbakalis Well if it is nvidia, then i guess your gpu is not supported by version 390xx or 455xx, all other driver version have been removed due support end. There are a lot of problems with that and solutions on the forum. A grub reinstall will not help then.

@megavolt thank you, now it starts making sense…

I ve read the articles on the forum and i understand some of the situations you mentioned above. The thing i don’t get is if i have to uninstall something from my computer in order to make the boot sequence work again

inxi -G

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics 
           driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: modesetting 
           resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1360x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NV117 v: 4.3 Mesa 20.1.8 

and mhwd -li

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ mhwd -li
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-435xx-prime/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-340xx/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-418xx/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-430xx/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-435xx/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-440xx/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/catalyst/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/network_drivers/r8168/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/network_drivers/rt3562sta/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!
> Installed PCI configs:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

To make any changes, you have to chroot first:

manjaro-chroot -a

Then just remove the nvidia drivers. nouveau driver seems to work fine on the live iso.

Just to make sure i am not going to blow things up, as i am quite new using Linux…
I dont understand your last line

I am currently running on live iso and i am trying to fix my system so:

1. manjaro-chroot -a ( in order to change the apparent root directory )
  2. How do i remove the nvidia drivers? because on lspci -v i see that already nouveau drivers are in use
1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Palit Microsystems Inc. Device 1381
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 33
	Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
	I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
	Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
	Kernel modules: nouveau

I am sorry to ask so many questions but i am really trying to understand the root cause of this situation.
Please if possible some step by step guidance to resolve this
What drivers should i install for graphics?

Here should be everything explained: Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro

You will have to reinstall mhwd completely and also delete your installed configs in /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/ , then install the gpu driver again with the new config video-nvidia or similiar.

hi again,

so far i have:

1. sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt ( now i can access my old filesystem under /mnt )
  2. rm /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/*

and i am trying to understand if i have to delete all installed gpu related files from this output:

[manjaro /]# pacman -Qs nvidia
local/lib32-libvdpau 1.4-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 455.45.01-3
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.4-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/linux414-nvidia 455.45.01-4 (linux414-extramodules)
    NVIDIA drivers for linux.
local/linux510-nvidia 455.45.01-10.0 (linux510-extramodules)
local/linux54-nvidia 455.45.01-6 (linux54-extramodules)
local/mhwd-nvidia 455.45.01-3
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 455.45.01
local/mhwd-nvidia-390xx 390.132-1
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 390.132
local/nvidia-prime 1.0-4
    NVIDIA Prime Render Offload configuration and utilities
local/nvidia-utils 455.45.01-2
    NVIDIA drivers utilities

Should i uninstall all theese packages? If yes, which one i should install?

Hi @vbakalis :wave: I had a similar problem Booting “Module ‘nvidia” is not found” and lightdm issues

Did you run mhwd -li on your live-boot or after you manjaro-chrooted into your actual system? It looks to me like it was run from the live-boot, which doesn’t help.

I think both these are bad ideas, I learned that you can achieve the same, but in a cleaner way, with mhwd -r pci <driver-name> as was pointed out here to me.
In that situation I had to install those drivers again using mhwd -a pci <driver-name> and then delete them properly with the above command.
mhwd -l gives you a list of compatible possible drivers I believe. mhwd -li -d gives detail information about currently installed ones. All of this and more is also explained in the link @megavolt provided above.

Is that enough to manjaro-chroot into your broken installation, or do you have any problems doing so? Can’t you also just boot normally and once you see the [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules open the tty (Ctrl+Alt+F3) and do the changes from there?