Failed to start Load Kernel Modules - after update

I’ve been having a similar error, failing to boot with:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Which looks very like the error here:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/failed-to-start-load-kernel-modules/30061

I’ve booted from a live USB to try chroot, but manjaro-chroot can’t find the system and gives this error:

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1. Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1. Check your device.map.

Does anyone know how I might mount my system / get into the tty?

hm… do you have this issue with other kernels? (I hope you have another kernel installed… it’s recommended to have at least 2 installed at a time)

Also, which kernel is this?

I had the same error. It turned out to be NVIDIA-related.
At the error, press CTRL + ALT + F2 to get into tty. Log in.

This is what I did to fix it:
My card is not old GTX1050Ti.

Execute, mhwd -a pci free 0300
I used pamac to remove any existing NVIDIA drivers, and then used pamac search -r nvidia to find the latest drivers (460.32.03-3). I installed the linux54-nvidia package because I’m running the 5.4 kernel. You may also need nvidia-utils.

If you are running older hardware, you may need to read the information in the update thread: [Stable Update] 2021-01-19 - Kernels, XFCE, Plasma, PulseAudio, Pipewire, Mesa, Firefox, Thunderbird, KDE Apps - #2 by philm

2 Likes

I appreciate all the advice - was an absolute lifesaver, thanks!

(I was using 5.4, and GTX1660 in case anyone else comes across this)

I’m afraid to run the update.
As an nvidia card user every update seems like a gamble. And you never know when the entire system will become unusable.

Which is why backup programs like Timeshift are a thing :stuck_out_tongue:

You can always run the backup before an update.

1 Like

Hi @Leebut, I am new user and was hoping you could provide a little more detail for the solution? Could you please provide the command used for how you “used pamac to remove any existing NVIDIA drivers”?

pamac search -r nvidia found the following installed:

mhwd-nvidia-390xx
MHWD module-ids for nvidia 390.141 [Installed] 390.141-1 core
mhwd-nvida
MHWD module-ids for nvida 460.32.03 [Installed] 460.32.03-1 core

I noticed that you mentioned the version you found ends with “-3” while mine end with “-1”. I’m not sure if this is significant, but curious how you did install the latest drivers?

Could you also please provide the final step of installing linux54-nvidia as I am also using the 5.4 kernel?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.