Failed to start Load Kernel Modules after selecting a different kernel in GRUB

I’m currently using 5.8.11-1-MANJARO kernel and had trouble creating a virtual machine in vmware player. So in the forums I read that I should use a 5.7 kernel and thought I should give it a shot. In GRUB screen I select the 5.7.19-2-MANJARO kernel, which I have installed. But after a few moments I get greeted by “[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules”. Nevertheless, after rebooting and selecting 5.8.11-1-MANJARO kernel, the system boots up normally.

What should I do to change the kernel to 5.7? Or what am I doing wrong?

You are certainly missing some modules. Boot into 5.8 and post here the output of pacman -Q | grep -e linux58 -e linux57

linux57 5.7.19-2
linux57-headers 5.7.19-2
linux57-nvidia-440xx 440.100-17
linux58 5.8.11-1
linux58-headers 5.8.11-1
linux58-nvidia-440xx 440.100-18

All seems fine :thinking:

Boot into kernel 5.7. Then reboot and boot into 5.8. Then post the output of journalctl -p3 -b-1

But I can’t boot into kernel 5.7. When in GRUB screen I select the 5.7 kernel, I get an error saying “[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules” and a few moments later a black screen with a white underscore symbol.

I know, that’s the idea. After rebooting and logging in 5.8, the command I provided will give you the errors that occurred in the previous boot.

spal. 17 13:09:30 motiejus-nicepc systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
spal. 17 13:09:30 motiejus-nicepc systemd-modules-load[240]: Failed to look up module alias ‘crypto_user’: Function not implemented
spal. 17 13:09:30 motiejus-nicepc systemd-modules-load[240]: Failed to look up module alias ‘nvidia’: Function not implemented
spal. 17 13:09:30 motiejus-nicepc systemd-modules-load[240]: Failed to look up module alias ‘nvidia-drm’: Function not implemented
spal. 17 13:09:30 motiejus-nicepc systemd-modules-load[240]: Failed to look up module alias ‘uinput’: Function not implemented

That kernel is EOL, don’t waste time getting things to work with that one.
If you need a fallback kernel, use 5.4 - it’s an LTS kernel and will be supported for quite some time, see The Linux Kernel Archives - Releases

2 Likes

If that’s not critical, I’d suggest moving to VirtualBox or even QtEmu. VMware is much harder to get working I suppose.

Oh, I totally forgot to check that! Should have been the first thing.

Booting to 5.4 kernel worked. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.