Failed Install on i386 EFI, Error Code 1 returned from efibootmgr

I have an older laptop I am trying to put Manjaro on. I tried Arch Linux before and ran into issues.

This is a very low spec machine. It’s a Venture II 14. It has 2GB of RAM, a 32GB MMC storage chip, and an antiquated Intel Atom Z3735F chipset.

I’ve tried several install images of Manjaro but when it gets to the efibootmgr install I get back Error Code 1.

I’ve dumped the output to termbin. eec4 is the page identifier.

From your output:

Installing for i386-efi platform.
Could not prepare Boot variable: Input/output error
grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.

32bit/i386 EFI is in general not supported here, if you can, boot into BIOS/CSM mode and probably, you are better off using another distro, such like Puppy OS, since 2 GB RAM is not enough. 4GB at least, when you need to use a web browser.

There is a manjaro spinoff named Mabox. It is basically manjaro with stripped off desktop environment and openbox instead. Which results in about 500MB RAM usage. The big question is which kernel supports the Atom, but you can try with live iso.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.