[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules - But system boots just fine

Hello there,

I’ve just noticed during a restart that I get this error on boot:
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
That’s it, nothing else, just this single line. Then, the computer proceeds to boot.

I’ve had Manjaro installed on my Laptop for less than 3 days, and have barely installed anything on it. I don’t have a dedicated GPU, just my ol’ trusty Intel HD 4000. I am running Manjaro 21.0 XFCE, with Kernel 5.9.16. Edit: I’ve installed 5.10 and currently running on it, the issue persists.
For the moment, everything works, but I am afraid of my installation breaking at some point because of this. I don’t think this happened after an update, because I’m not sure if I even updated anything.
As for software, I’ve recently installed Onlyoffice, Redshift, Flameshot, Chromium, some TLP Packages for Thinkpads, Microsoft fonts, and a few others.

Can I do something about this? I can provide any further information necessary.
Thank you.

can you return

sudo mhwd-kernel -li 
sudo ls /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset

Sure thing! Here they are:

**sudo mhwd-kernel -li** 
Currently running: 5.10.23-1-MANJARO (linux510)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux414
   * linux510
   * linux59

**sudo ls /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset**
/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux414.preset  /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux59.preset
/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset

then

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux59
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux511
sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo update-grub

recheck

This is what I’ve got, all dumped into a pastebin: :: Synchronizing package databases... core 164,9 KiB 1832 Ki - Pastebin.com
This did not fix the issue, on restarting the computer the Warning is still there.
Also, thank you for helping out.

can you return

inxi -Fza
sudo journalctl -b0 -p4

what for this extension : linuxXX-tp_smapi , for battery ?

1 Like

You’re a godsend. The culprit was in fact tp_smapi.
I’m using an X230, and did not check if my model is supported by that package. It isn’t.
I just uninstalled it, and everything went back to normal. Thank you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.