Fail to install kernel : "error: failed retrieving file "

Hi, I am having problem with installing the linux518, with errors attached below. Anything that I can do for this? Thanks in advance!

The following packages will be installed:

linux518

linux518-nvidia

linux518-headers

Starting

resolving dependencies...

looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (3) linux518-5.18.3-1 linux518-headers-5.18.3-1 linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4

Total Download Size: 70.52 MiB

Total Installed Size: 307.95 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

:: Retrieving packages...

linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64 downloading...

Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

error: failed retrieving file 'linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.fcix.net : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.cyberhost.uk : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.mirrors.theom.nz : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from quantum-mirror.hu : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.d-tl.com : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from ftp.gwdg.de : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'linux518-nvidia-515.48.07-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from ct.mirror.garr.it : The requested URL returned error: 404

warning: failed to retrieve some files

error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)

Your mirrors are out of date. See Pacman-mirrors - Manjaro

there’s an error while updating by sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syu:

error: extract: not overwriting dir with file /usr/lib/firmware/intel/sof-tplg
error: problem occurred while upgrading sof-firmware
error: could not commit transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (transaction aborted)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

The file was corrupted somehow. You’ll have to manually remove it and reinstall sof-firmware:

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/firmware/intel/sof-tplg
sudo pacman -Syu sof-firmware

it seems a directory

rm: cannot remove '/usr/lib/firmware/intel/sof-tplg': Is a directory

and here is what that directory contained:

sof-hda-generic-2ch.tplg        sof-hda-generic-idisp-4ch.tplg
sof-hda-generic-4ch.tplg        sof-hda-generic-idisp.tplg
sof-hda-generic-idisp-2ch.tplg  sof-hda-generic.tplg.original

Well, then adjust the command accordingly. I edited my post. :wink:

uhh, sounds good! just in case I deleted anything incorrectly. Thank you!

maybe the problem is not fully solved. The linux5.18.6-1 is shown to be installed, but I could not boot it from 5.18 — after lots of logs appeared suddenly and disappeared, the screen became black but not shut down. Anything that I can debug of this?

What kernels are installed?

mhwd-kernel --listinstalled

517 and 518

The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux517
   * linux518

FYI, 5.17 is EOL and will be dropped from the repos once 5.19 is released in a month or so. I suggest installing 5.15 as a backup as it’s the latest LTS release.

In your case, I would first install 5.15, reboot into it then try removing and reinstalling 5.18.

uhhh I see. The problem now is that I have to use 5.17 for WiFi (no wifi for 5.15). Also, just wondering, do you have any idea if 5.18 fixed the issue of the input sound for Blade 15, 2022? The wifi and audio issues are for all distros , I think (like remaining issue described here)

Well, then remove and reinstall 5.18 while booted into 5.17. :wink:

finally got a screenshot of the failed logs after reinstalling

Please turn off your flash when taking pictures like that. Good grief. Never take photos in Portrait mode unless you’re actually taking a portrait.

Flash aside, you didn’t capture the entire monitor in the photo and lines are cut off.

Either way, we don’t have the full log so that photo is useless.

Boot once into 5.18, then boot the latest Manjaro ISO to capture the log:

Once booted into the live system, chroot into your installed system with manjaro-chroot. Then run

sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb -b > ~/kernel_log

You can name the file (kernel_log) in the above example) to whatever you want. Then you can upload it to a pastebin service and link it here.