F2FS for Manjaro root and home

Flash friendly system f2fs was specifically designed to be used on SSDs and other flash storage media.
As per various online test its the fastes system and btw, is used by the newest Android by Google.

Kernel parameters to compile with:

CONFIG_F2FS_FS
F2FS_FS_XATTR
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_POSIX_ACL
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_SECURITY

so:

File systems --->
F2FS filesystem support:
F2FS Status Information
F2FS extended attributes <---------YES
F2FS Access Control Lists <---------YES
F2FS Security Labels <---------YES
F2FS consistency checking feature <---------YES
F2FS Encryption
F2FS fault injection facility

and here we go:

GPT

/root f2fs
/home f2fs
/boot/efi esp FAT32 unfortunately (MS vs TomTom)
/swap

GRUB edit:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=false

GRUB_DEFAULT=0

ctrl+x

sudo update-grub

reboot.

Voila! Enjoy the fastest Manjaro ever.

swap isn't necessary, you can have a compressed swap in RAM

What does this have to do with f2fs, or speed, or anything else in your post ?

Also .. f2fs is quite available .. you can install it using Architect, no need for a kernel compile:

(which .. funny enough .. mentions a random bug that was worked-around by your grub stuff. huh.)

2 Likes

misleading title and category - I fixed both.

I've been using f2fs for / and /home for several months now. It seems faster, but I often get filesystem corruption especially on / and need to fsck.f2fs from another install on the same machine. But the /home partition works fine even with a huge 60GB virtual machine on it.

Right .. I forgot that there have been more than a few reports of tendency for corruption on f2fs.

Yeah, so don't anybody wonder if you get missing files or folders errors in /usr/lib, simply reboot to a second Linux OS, run fsck.f2fs and if that doesn't help simply restore form backup or reinstall. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Simple enough. Definitely should be global default then. :wink:

A real Manjaro fan has to reinstall every second month anyway with the new release. Real harcore fans even every week with the new release candidate.

@1manjaro, have you modified the mount options for f2fs in you fstab? The default ones are not necessarily the fastest ones. Recommend to read the kernel doc of f2fs!

2 Likes

That true....:upside_down_face:

Corruption, bit rot (that's xfs, which has the biggest RETPOLINE hit), unclean shutdown? Or just broken SSD or lack of continuity check while compiling the kernel? I suggest Toshiba A16 internals and 4core controller ie SSD from RELIABLE manufacturer who has checkups in factory (not everyone does that...).

No corruption issues on the same M.2 SSDs with btrfs, but thanks for your recommendations!

If you are talking about speed and care about is so much and have noticed something on KDE, can you elaborate more on Intel rdrandr and trust parameter (if you are on KDE)?

I haven't found any feature or performance gains in those.
My fstab for reference

~ >>> cat /etc/fstab | grep f2fs
UUID=704...   /         f2fs   rw,lazytime,background_gc=on,nodiscard,no_heap,inline_xattr,inline_data,inline_dentry,flush_merge,extent_cache,mode=adaptive,active_logs=6,alloc_mode=default,fsync_mode=posix 0 0
UUID=732...   /home     f2fs   rw,lazytime,background_gc=on,nodiscard,no_heap,inline_xattr,inline_data,inline_dentry,flush_merge,extent_cache,mode=adaptive,active_logs=6,alloc_mode=default,fsync_mode=posix 0 0

Some filesystems like btrfs give grub errors if that setting is set to true. Not sure if f2fs has those issues, but it would not surprise me.

Maybe make default f2fs in calamares with separate /home and /root both in f2fs and test all cases scenarios. Testing isos should have f2fs by default. This way we would test all scenarios and have better certainty.

So anyone good with the setup?

Can we have it now default in installer?

Manjaro-architect doesn't have default file system, they are all equal. With calamares, it's not my decision. I would probably not make it default in calamares, because I think calamares should prioritize stability over performance.

Since when f2fs is not stable. Google is wrong? Buy yourself better SSD, your is failing. File system has nothing to do with it.

I don't have any data on it's stability. However, I do know that ext4 and xfs are more tried and tested file systems.

Personally I haven't had any problems with any file systems.

Forum kindly sponsored by