Evolution email client in KDE Plasma - problems with gnome keyring

Is there a way to get KDE Plasma to unlock the GNOME keyring in addition to KWallet so that I can use the Evolution email client in KDE Plasma without it constantly asking me for my password?

I found instructions that said to edit “/etc/pam.d/sddm” and add “auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so” to the very end of the auth section and “session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start” to the end of the session section.

(GNOME/Keyring - ArchWiki)

However, I have no idea how to do this (I’m still learning and need more detailed, step by step instructions)

#%PAM-1.0

auth		include		system-login
auth		optional	pam_kwallet5.so
auth        optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
account		include		system-login
password	include		system-login
session		include		system-login
session		optional	pam_kwallet5.so auto_start
session     optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

Thanks, I had never edited a text file like this before, so it took me a bit to figure things out. I saved a copy of the original file first just in case, below is what I had originally:

#%PAM-1.0

auth include system-login
-auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
-auth optional pam_kwallet5.so

account include system-login

password include system-login
-password optional pam_gnome_keyring.so use_authtok

session optional pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session include system-login
-session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
-session optional pam_kwallet5.so auto_start

So I changed it to exactly match what you provided above but it still didn’t work. Then I went back and explicitly installed the gnome keyring (could have sworn I already had it when I downloaded Evolution), so then after a restart, it worked.
Now I’m wondering what “-password optional pam_gnome_keyring.so use_authtok” and “session optional pam_keyinit.so force revoke” were for, did I mess something up by taking those out? Should I put them back in?

Thanks again!

To be honest, PAM is a bit of an occult thing. There are manuals about it on the Web, but I’m not sure I understand much of it either. :wink:

evolution does not seem to actually depend on Gnome Keyring, so it wouldn’t get installed when installing Evolution.

What the stuff in PAM actually does, is make SDDM do some stuff when you log in, like unlocking your gnome keyring, if it exists.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.