Ethernet not working on a MSI Z390 Gaming Plus

Hello, I’m a new Linux user, first time using Linux and I have a MSI Z390 Gaming Plus motherboard. Ethernet is not working so for the time being I’m using my phone; I’ve already tried to get the e1000e module working but I haven’t had success.
(The module has been loaded has shown by systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service:)

● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
     Active: active (exited) since Thu 2021-12-09 20:10:21 CET; 48min ago
       Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
             man:modules-load.d(5)
    Process: 254 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 254 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 311ms

dic 09 20:10:20 hamster systemd-modules-load[254]: Inserted module 'crypto_user'
dic 09 20:10:21 hamster systemd-modules-load[254]: Inserted module 'e1000e'
dic 09 20:10:21 hamster systemd-modules-load[254]: Failed to insert module 'ipmi_si': No such device
dic 09 20:10:21 hamster systemd-modules-load[254]: Inserted module 'nvidia'
dic 09 20:10:21 hamster systemd-modules-load[254]: Inserted module 'nvidia_drm'
dic 09 20:10:21 hamster systemd-modules-load[254]: Inserted module 'uinput'
dic 09 20:10:21 hamster systemd[1]: Finished Load Kernel Modules.
Notice: journal has been rotated since unit was started, output may be incomplete.

This is the output of inxi -Nazy:

inxi -Nazy                                                
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: N/A
  modules: e1000e port: N/A bus-ID: 00:1f.6 chip-ID: 8086:15bc class-ID: 0200

Thanks in advance.

A full inxi output would be more helpful. Have you tried with a different kernel e.g 5.10 LTS (Long Term Support).

Did it work with the Live .iso?

1 Like

This e1000e seems to be a non very well supported network card.

You could try the AUR and install e1000e-dkms or try the suggestions from the Arch forums [SOLVED] Arch Install ethernet not shown / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums

Or what exactly is not working?

1 Like

Hi, I’ve installed the 5.10 LTS Kernel and everything seems to be working fine, Thank You Kindly.

Solution in my case:

Firstly you’ll need the 5.10 LTS Kernel and headers; you can install them with this command:

sudo pamac install linux510 linux510-headers

Whenever you’ll want this to load properly you’ll need to reboot, select advanced options in the Grub menu and set the Kernel to this one.

In order to actually install the driver you can run this command:

sudo pamac install e1000e-dkms

There might be a more advanced solution although harder to get working, this is the easy one, I think.

A more complete solution may be found in the Arch forums as suggested by @mithrial.
I hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.