Error while updatig: Error GPGME: No data (PGP signature)

While updating on one of my Manjaro machines I keep receiving this error (I translated it into English, it may not be 100% accurate)

> sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for user ***: 
error:  Eror GPGME: No data
:: Synchronising databases with packages…
 core                  169,2 KiB   627 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 extra                1892,1 KiB  2,56 MiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 community               6,7 MiB  2,22 MiB/s 00:03 [######################] 100%
 multilib              175,2 KiB  1200 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
error:  failed to synchronize all databases (Incorrect or broken databse (PGP signature))

I’ve tried these pieces of advice from the forum:

sudo cp -f "/etc/pacman.conf" "/etc/pacman.conf.orig"
sudo sed -i 's/SigLevel.*/SigLevel = Never/' /etc/pacman.conf
sudo pacman -Syy gnupg archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring --ignore manjaro-system
sudo mv -f "/etc/pacman.conf.orig" "/etc/pacman.conf"
sudo pacman -Syu

and

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5

and also rebooted, nothing works.

The message indicates the data returned from the mirror is html returned as a response to an error.

E.g when nginx is is configured to serve a custom 404 html is sends a 200 OK and serves the HTML which makes curl think the data has been fetched successfully.

I cannot tell you what to do other than switching a mirror you can verify e.g. https://mirror.moson.org/manjaro

I played with sudo pacman-mirrors, setting particular countries or --continet, with no effect.

Then I found another tip on the forum:

sudo rm -f /var/lib/pacman/sync/*
sudo pacman -Syyu

It seems to work, but when I run sudo pamac update -a I get the same errors (at the end).

So I did

sudo rm -f /var/lib/pacman/sync/*
sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman-mirrors --continent

and that gave a very unusual result: lots of warnings about me having local packages newer than remote ones, eg. (just a few from the list):

:: Starting full system upgrade…
warning: alsa-card-profiles: local (1:0.3.35-1) is newer than  extra (1:0.3.34-1)
warning: archlinux-keyring: local (20210902-1) jest nowsze niż core (20210820-1)
warning: autoconf-archive: local (1:2021.02.19-1) jest nowsze niż community (1:2019.01.06-4)
warning: babl: local (0.1.88-2) jest nowsze niż extra (0.1.88-1)
many more like these

If I now run sudo pamac update -a, the problem reappears, but only for multilib:

Refreshing multilib.db...                                                                                                                                                                    
Error: multilib.db: Error GPGME: No data

When i now do sudo pacman -Syyu I’m returning to the beginning, all errors reappear as they were. For sudo pamac update -a I can see problems only with multilib:

Refreshing core.db...                                                                                                                                                                        
Refreshing extra.db...                                                                                                                                                                       
Refreshing community.db...                                                                                                                                                                   
Refreshing multilib.db...                                                                                                                                                                    
Error: multilib.db: Error GPGME: No  data                                                                                                                                                    
Incorrect or broken database (PGP signature)

For the future: if you want English as the language for a particular terminal session, execute:

export LANG=C

Now your terminal session will be in English until you exit it.

Try the long-term solution here and see if that helps…

:crossed_fingers:

I’ve just tried to update the system, everything works fine, which suggests that my problem was solved in the last Manjaro update. The thread can be closed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.