Error starting domain: cannot access storage file '/home/magnetichail227/macOS-Simple-KVM/MacosVM.qcow2' (as uid:958, gid:958): permission denied

Hi so first of i would like to say iam very new to manjaro and i might not do things that seem to be common sense,

so ive recently installed simple kvm macos and that works fine when running the mac virtual machine but i want to use virtual machine manager (virt-manager) but when i try run it from the GUI it comes up with the permission denied error
these are the extra details:

Error starting domain: Cannot access storage file ‘/home/magnetichail227/macOS-Simple-KVM/MacosVM.qcow2’ (as uid:958, gid:958): Permission denied

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 72, in cb_wrapper
callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 108, in tmpcb
callback(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py”, line 57, in newfn
ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py”, line 1402, in startup
self._backend.create()
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py”, line 1373, in create
raise libvirtError(‘virDomainCreate() failed’)
libvirt.libvirtError: Cannot access storage file ‘/home/magnetichail227/macOS-Simple-KVM/MacosVM.qcow2’ (as uid:958, gid:958): Permission denied

any help would be greatly appreciated on how to fix this, thankyou

Hi and welcome to the Forum :+1:

The answer is already in the output you provided:

So the quick fix is to place that file in a different directory (outside your home) which grants access to that UID/GID…

thankyou for responding, when you say “that file” did you mean theqcow2? if so i shall try that now

Yes i meant/refered to the file mentioned in that error message you posted…

so i moved “MacosVM.qcow2” to a sub folder in my downloads and so now how do i get virt manager to use that file instead

When it comes to:

Consult the documentation of that program…
(I don’t use it, so cant give a ready answer)

i might just reinstall everything but this time not in the home directory, thankyou for the information it is much appreciated