"ERROR: resume: no device specified for hibernation" at boot and after shutdown

Hello everyone, I’m getting this error both at shutdown and boot and on top of that they are extremely slow (~20 seconds for boot and 10 for shutdown). As suggested in other posts and since I don’t need Hibernation I:

• Disabled Hibernation by adding the /etc/systemd/sleep.conf.d/no-hibernate.conf and /etc/systemd/logind.conf.d/no-hibernate.conf files

• Removed resume parameters at /etc/default/grub:GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:HOOKS

I only have swap, efi and root partitions and this is my etc/default/grub:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Manjaro"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="part_gpt part_msdos"
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console
GRUB_GFXMODE=auto
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Enabling/disabling secure or fast boot doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Also I don’t have anything on the side to dual boot so I wouldn’t mind ditching grub completely and boot directly in the system but I don’t if that can be done. And why does this pop up at shutdown? What is it trying to do when shutting down that involves hibernation?

Can you help me?

Welcome here, @firewnd :wave:

Have you executed

sudo update-grub

and rebooted already?

Hi! Yes, I did that and also mkinitcpio

Boot into live ISO and run fsck from a terminal window, it could be that some of your partitions are corrupted.

I’ll try that but everything else works fine. Also I forgot to mention, before the error message started appearing boot was even slower and the computer logo (msi) appeared and disappeared 3 times during boot and 2 times at shutdown

In the end I managed to get rid of the errors and get faster boot by removing all unnecessary hooks and modules from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, keeping only:

• MODULES="ahci sd_mod ext4 i2c_dev"
  • HOOKS="base udev"

and adding: COMPRESSION="cat"

In /etc/default/grub I also added noresume at GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

sudo mkinitcpio -P and updated grub and the boot is cool now. I still have the problem with the slow shutdown (which is in fact caused by slow logout because the logout is as slow as the full shutdown) and oem logo flashing 2 times at logout (KDE)

Nice to hear. I would recommend to use recent syntax for /etc/mkinitcpio.conf by changing

MODULES="ahci sd_mod ext4 i2c_dev"

into

MODULES=(ahci sd_mod ext4 i2c_dev)

and

HOOKS="base udev"

into

HOOKS=(base udev)

Afterwards run

sudo mkinitcpio -P
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.