Error: no such cryptodisk found. Press any key to continue

Hi there,

First of all let me state I am by no means very good with Linux, it is something i enjoy and play about with in my spare time. I am not very good with commands, so be patient with me please.

So I have been running Manjaro for a long while and it has been working great. The latest update has borked my system though as i use the full LUKS Encryption. Upon entering my passphrase, the GRUB menu flashes for a millisecond, disappears and then I am met with

“error: no such cryptodisk found.”

“Press any key to continue.”

Now upon trying to press a key, the system freezes so it becomes impossible to really do anything. The best i get is if i type my password phrase wrong at encryption, that is only place I can type.

Anybody who can help will be great appreciated.

P.S I have searched before making this, but to be totally honest, a lot of the threads are people who have access to their grub menu and I do not have access. And other threads, go way beyond my understanding of Linux in general. So a step by step would be real handy.

Thanks very much.

At this point, you would need to ready a liveUSB from another computer in order to fix your system.

Cheers mate,

But i must say i need more than that. I have a liveUSB and i don’t really see where i can troubleshoot with it.

This

2 Likes

I get the same message, but when I press any key, the system continues to boot, God Save Linus.
Yesterday there were system updates and this message did not appear at boot, however, today I saw it again.

You have two options:

• re-run update-grub which should remove the dashes from your UUID entry of crytomount lines in your /boot/grub/grub.cfg
  • or re-install grub to your MBR/EFI: GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro. This will add support also for UUIDs with dashes.

All in all the error is well explained already.

1 Like

I didn’t see your message, but I installed a new kernel version (6.3) and the error message disappeared.
Thank U