Error mounting HDD: Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock

If you have a similar error in future (as it’s an NTFS filesystem) you will need to go through this whole process again. I would consider using a Linux filesystem instead (such as ext4) to avoid this; unless you need to share the contents of the drive with Windows.

If you could temporarily move the data from the drive to another location then it would be a simple procedure to remove the NTFS partition(s) and replace with EXT4; but that’s perhaps for another time.

To clarify the comment from @Wollie

Fast Boot is an option often found in the BIOS; it’s generally recommended to disable it when using Linux.

Fast Startup is a Windows hibernation variant – If you are multibooting Linux and Windows this must be disabled. The easiest way to disable Fast Startup is to enter the following commmand from an administrative command prompt in Windows:

powercfg /h off

Linux users frequently seem to confuse Fast Boot and Fast Startup.

Note1: If you’re not multibooting Linux and Windows (and you’re not) you can safely ignore this; or save it with your notes in case you ever want to setup a multiboot system in future.

Note2: My opinion is that Fast Startup shouldn’t be needed for Windows. It only exists to give consumers the illusion that Windows starts very quickly – it doesn’t – in fact, using Fast Startup means Windows never actually shuts down, but hibernates instead; a recipe for disaster, especially if the user isn’t aware of it.

Thank you all for sharing your expertise to help me solve my problem. I am very grateful.

1 Like

No. Thank you. If only all newer users were as receptive and willing to participate, as you, forums in general would benefit greatly.

Cheers.

1 Like

Even then, rather go with exfat

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.