Error Logging Into Plasma After Hard Reboot

Looks like its all the fault of libimobiledevice-git and ultimately gnome-shell-extension-tray-icons-reloaded-git. Which has a regular version (also in AUR).
If you dont have a reason for it then lets remove that and reinstall all of the regular repo packages…

suo pacman -Rns gnome-shell-extension-tray-icons-reloaded-git libimobiledevice-git libimobiledevice-glue-git
sudo pacman -Syu libusbmuxd libimobiledevice libplist

You can then reinstall the extension if you still want it … opting for the non-git versioin

pamac build gnome-shell-extension-tray-icons-reloaded

Of course return with any errors you encounter.

No! I have no reason, no use for “libimobiledevice-git” whatsoever!

When I first ran suo pacman -Rns gnome-shell-extension-tray-icons-reloaded-git libimobiledevice-git libimobiledevice-glue-git, it prompted libimobiledevice dependency error.

Then I ran sudo pacman -Syu libusbmuxd libimobiledevice libplist , hoping that it would resolve the first libimobiledevice dependency error. It executed and uninstalled everything. Please see below for the result.

sudo pacman -Syu libusbmuxd libimobiledevice libplist
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community 6.8 MiB 10.5 MiB/s 00:01 [#######################################################################################] 100%
multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
warning: manjaro-hello: local (0.7.0-6) is newer than extra (0.7.0-5)
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
:: libimobiledevice and libimobiledevice-git are in conflict. Remove libimobiledevice-git? [y/N] y
:: libplist and libplist-git are in conflict. Remove libplist-git? [y/N] y
:: libusbmuxd and libusbmuxd-git are in conflict. Remove libusbmuxd-git? [y/N] y

Packages (6) libimobiledevice-git-1:1.3.0.r176.gcc540a2-1 [removal] libplist-git-1:2.3.0.r6.g57a7f14-1 [removal] libusbmuxd-git-2.0.2.r30.gf47c36f-1 [removal] libimobiledevice-1.3.0-6 libplist-2.2.0-6 libusbmuxd-2.0.2-1

Total Download Size: 0.50 MiB
Total Installed Size: 1.97 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: -0.25 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
:: Retrieving packages…
libimobiledevice-1.3.0-6-x86_64 356.9 KiB 1645 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################################################] 100%
libplist-2.2.0-6-x86_64 123.3 KiB 2.11 MiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################################################] 100%
libusbmuxd-2.0.2-1-x86_64 33.3 KiB 901 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################################################] 100%
Total (3/3) 513.5 KiB 1253 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) checking keys in keyring [#######################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) checking package integrity [#######################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) loading package files [#######################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) checking for file conflicts [#######################################################################################] 100%
(6/6) checking available disk space [#######################################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes…
(1/3) removing libimobiledevice-git [#######################################################################################] 100%
(2/3) removing libusbmuxd-git [#######################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) removing libplist-git [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/3) installing libplist [#######################################################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for libplist
python: for the Python bindings [installed]
(2/3) installing libusbmuxd [#######################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) installing libimobiledevice [#######################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks…
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate…
(2/2) Refreshing PackageKit…

After this, then I went back and tried to execute the first command again. Since “libimobiledevice-git” was already removed, it returned the message below.

sudo pacman -Rns gnome-shell-extension-tray-icons-reloaded-git libimobiledevice-git libimobiledevice-glue-git
error: target not found: libimobiledevice-git

Sure go ahead and run the removal without including the now missing package:

sudo pacman -Rns gnome-shell-extension-tray-icons-reloaded-git libimobiledevice-glue-git

As for the next step, I did reboot Manjaro. Lo and behold! Drum rolls please! :drum: Now I have my Plasma theme back! Everything is back to normal as they exactly were! Wow! :smiley:

I don’t know how to thank you enough, cscs, fasto and brahma! You guys went above and beyond to help me. I thank each and every one of you for your time and effort! Thank you so much!

In regards to Pamac settings, I have a question. “Flatpak packages” and “Snap packages” are enabled. What is your recommendation for both? Should I go ahead and disable them both?

Out of curiosity, how many packages do you have on your system?

pamac list | wc -l

There is a bit of an ongoing argument surrounding these. The majority dislike Snap due to them being rather slow and bloated. Flatpak is your choice. I personally don’t use it for programs I can get in the repositories, but some people use them for as many programs as they can.

1 Like

As to snaps/flatpak … If you dont know … and you have no need for them … then just disable.
I’d go as far as to disable/remove/uninstall the stuff too … snapd can heavily impact startup times for example.
If you find yourself in a situation where some piece of software is only provided by a flatpak … then turn it on and use it.
My 2 lira anyways.

PS. Glad everything worked out @BIZDIK
Im all over the place usually … but my profile will give a very general clue.
Cheers.

1 Like

Well :hot_face:… hmmm…!?! Do you really want to know? I don’t want you to fall out of your chair. It says a whopping, “2009”. :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: I won’t even bother asking if it is way too many! I’m guessing the only way to reduce the number of packages is to start uninstalling some apps. Right?

One way is to look at orphans.

pacman -Qdt

Use that list for picking things you might not want.
BE AWARE … just because something is an orphan does not necessarilly mean you dont want it.
(in that case it is suggested to augment the ‘install reason’ of the package to ‘explicit’ … which will remove it from the orphans list)

Theres more info at the archwiki of course:
System maintenance - ArchWiki

PS. I have 1853 packages at the moment.

How many packages you should have depends on your needs. I have 1230, cscs has 1853, and my university’s Ubuntu server has over 4000! That said, judging by the issues you had in this thread, I think some cleaning may be in order.

1 Like

I disabled AUR and Snap packages in Pamac settings. I like to keep things nice and neat. There is no need for clutter!

This MSI gaming laptop I have is a beast! Manjaro boots up to desktop in 15 seconds. Windows boots up in 30 seconds. But you’re right! If I maintain Manjaro better and declutter it, it would boot up even faster!

Thanks again! If it weren’t for you guys, I would not have Manjaro working again.

I didn’t mean to be nosy, asking a taboo question about where people were from. But that’s the kind of vibe I got! Anyway, I’ll go ahead and retract my statement and question from my previous post. And cheers to you too, my friend! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did you make sure to uninstall all AUR/Snap packages before disabling?

1 Like

Thank you for the info! I have some homework to do! :wink:

No, I did not…! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: To be honest with you, I don’t know how to “safely” uninstall all AUR/Snap packages without accidentally crippling the operating system. Yes, I would love to declutter the operating system and keep things nice and neat.

As I remember, I tried many… many… things to get the keyboard backlight to work on my MSI GS76 laptop and installed many packages to no avail.

I needed the keyboard backlight because it was a need/a necessity for me as I type things in the dark or in very dim light. Manjaro worked perfectly fine other than this annoying (torn in my side!?!) keyboard backlight issue. Anyway, I might have caused some bloating (than I should have…) due to desperately trying things to get the keyboard backlight to work.

I know about the “libimobiledevice-git”, but I don’t know about the second one.

Here is the story behind “ibimobiledevicel-git”! Manjaro is the main operating system I use on my dual boot laptop. In every possible way, in every possible sense, I try to distance myself from having to boot up and use Windows.

However, when I want/need to load new songs into my ipod, I have no choice but boot up Windows because there is no support for itunes in Linux environment that I know of. Short of a long story, by installing “ibimobiledevicel-git” and different packages, I was trying to use my ipod with Manjaro. But it didn’t work! And I put it on back burner to work on it later. Thus, I ran into this headache!

Step 1: uninstall them.

If uninstalling an AUR package cripples your system, that is the symptom of a bigger issue. You should rip the bandaid off now. What you should definitely not do is disable the systems managing them while having some installed on your system.

When I looked at the number of AUR packages, installed in my system, to my surprise, there were only about 25 of them. I removed all SNAP packages and replaced them with the ones from the Official Repositories.

I reduced the Flatpaks from 15 to 6. And I will eventually reduce them to 3. LibreWolf (internet browser), TuxGuitar (tablature editor) and another app are only available via Flatpak. I don’t care much about the third app, but I can’t uninstall LibreWolf. I like the browser. As for TuxGuitar, I play acoustic guitar and need the app to print out my tablatures.

Ouch!?! :scream_cat: I pulled the bandaid so hard, I pulled my hair out! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Makes sense! :+1:

Another quick question! when you install an app in package manager, it just states the app is only 80MB in size, but then all the other files get tagged along. Then, 80MB turns into 1GB. When you decide to remove the app, it just removes the 80MB of the app. It doesn’t remove the rest of the junk that is 1GB in size. Is there a command/trick/ a safe way to remove the app + whatever tagged along (installed) as a part of the app?

Flatpaks have dependencies like all other packages. However, Pamac doesn’t really tell you about this and they seem to get left in your system. Unfortunately, they are stored in a way that makes it difficult to identify where individual ones are. The way I found to clear everything is:

1. Uninstall all flatpaks
  2. Uninstall libpamac-flatpak-plugin
  3. sudo rm -rf /var/lib/flatpak
  4. Install libpamac-flatpak-plugin
  5. Install your previous flatpaks

All flatpak data (e.g. browsing history) should be saved because it is stored in ~/.var/

1 Like

Wow fasto! Thank you for the thorough info. You absolutely went above and beyond. Greatly appreciated! I’ll get on it this weekend and tie up the loose ends.

Unbelievable!?! I went out of my way to uninstall the flatpak in order to install the same app from the official repositories, but the app from the official repositories doesn’t even launch. I’m suspecting that the problem with the app from the official repositories may be due to the fact that either dependencies or optional dependencies or maybe both don’t get downloaded and installed. Is it annoying? Absolutely! You would expect the apps from the official repositories to work without a hitch! Excuse my rant!