Error libicuuc.so.74: cannot open shared object flle

maybe 1 month ago… cant exactly remember…
Firstly I have xserver problem after (force shut down when it freezed. I updated the machine, but continuing using it without reboot , And some when it froze, hence force reboot).
After the computer boot up, I can only logging into TTY terminal.
And then I did a system update again from TTY terminal.It shows dependency error, but i force remove the package anyway, and landed there.

I think finally this manjaro (after 2-3 years of using and learning), this manjaro installation is at the stage where salvage is of no option… may need to be install over…
Suggestion? shld i? any good guide on how to achieve that with success? i think so far, keep my home folder shld b ok, bcos , so far not config issue. but however, i need to list out all the installed packages so that i can install it back , else forsure will hav non ending headache

Not too long ago, quite a few people had issues involving libicuuc.so.74
There are a lot of threads and posts about it - look at them.

And/or post the command along with its output if you can’t interpret it yourself.

(this forum software is annoying - someone just posted with a similar issue and I wanted to just copy what I wrote there as it applies just as well here - the software complains because of it. Too similar to what you recently posted … yeah, no kidding … it was the same)

No - not the softwares fault - the OP here @andrewysk simply opened another thread with the same issue.

Don’t do that @andrewysk

1 Like

Can u copy the url of the post and post it here? i hav only this tiny hp with tiny screen… hard to browse around such complicated forum…

If I knew it off the top of my head, I would simply tell you.
But I don’t - I’d have to go look and search for those just as you would.
So: no

Did you mean this other thread?:

Yes.
But I can’t simply say yes to confirm - the forum software complains that there must be at least 6 characters in a reply. :grimacing:

1 Like

This is why it’s recommended to reboot after an update, or at least one reason.

Seems like a job for pacman-static :superhero:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman#Using_pacman-static

1 Like

…but you could have written “That’s right.”… Let me see, how many characters is that?! :grinning:

:100: This is something I was largely ignorant of, until recently. Though I’ve never had a need for it (and hopefully never will) it’s good to know the option exists; to be able to use (a variant of) pacman to repair pacman related issues.

2 Likes

There are other options too.

You can chroot from a live USB and use the pacman from the live USB…or download and manually extract the relevant packages.

The former may be a better option than pacman-static, but I can’t remember the trick to make it work with manjaro-chroot, it’s around here somewhere.

Both are mentioned in the link I provided, just below pacman-static.

2 Likes

I could have, would I have thought of phrasing it that way - but I didn’t.
“Yes” was the answer that came to me (german …) - and then I wanted to have my rant. :grinning:

2 Likes

Never start with a rant though (like some in the forum do), as it’s too easy to forget the original question or topic. I recall seeing the occasional kilometre-long rants where the poster lost all cohesiveness. :smile:

An jenam tag…

My translator did not come up with a possible language for this phrase.

It took me a little while - I think you meant: “Angenehmen Tag” which is german and means: “Have a pleasant day”

… and the same for you, sir!

I’ve always understood an jenam tag to be much like ‘those were the days’ or ‘the good old days’ or, something like that, depending on context; but then, I’ve only heard it spoken.

Spoken by germans?
That may have been a (northern) dialect - there are many and really very different from “standard” german.
So different that many people have real trouble understanding each other when they go 500 km away from home. :smiley:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: this is the 2nd time i came across this package… Bing copilot mentioned once… however i cant seems to manage to install it… since u mentioned it too, i will try again. thx

1 Like

You meant “an jenem Tag” ?
(The second e is often spoken similar to ä)
On that day

In the right context, that can be the meaning.

1 Like

That would be it.

… so einfach - und ich kam nicht drauf :+1:

(… that easy - and I didn’t see that character swap, went for the more unlikely interpretation instead)

Des ischt weil mei Rächdschreibung föllig im eimer isch, und i meine eigne Setze lese könna muss.

Aber googl verschtoht mi:

That’s because my spelling is completely messed up and I need to be able to read my own sentences.

2 Likes