Error: Failed to generate pyside2-tools information

I’m trying to run updates and nothing will work. I’m not the most versed in Manjaro or Linux in general, my friend suggested this and said the learning curve on it was slightly easier.

The specific message is the subject line, I’ve done a lot of searching and none of the suggestions have worked so far. This solution seemed the most likely to help:

When I try that, however, it reads:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicui18n.so=74-64' required by electron22
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicuuc.so=74-64' required by electron22
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicui18n.so=74-64' required by electron25
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicuuc.so=74-64' required by electron25

Anyone have any ideas what’s happening or how to fix it? If any more info is needed I’m happy to provide it, just lmk!

You have orphans, outdated, obsolete and unsupported and aur packages. Remove electron22 and 25. You probably do not need pyside2-tools too.
You have read the text that AUR is unsupported (“potential risks and problems”) before clicking that toggle, did you? You now know why.

btw search in the forum exist

installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency ‘libicui18n.so=74-64’ required by electron25

Thanks for linking something. I’ve been searching, it’s hard to know what to search in many cases. My friend set this up because the computer was bricked without something, said they’d give me a more thorough run through of it, and didn’t so I’m working off very little starting knowledge.

Adding: This link actually did tell me exactly what to search and I got updates from there, thank you so much! I’m usually really good at finding the solution, just didn’t know what the starting point here was.

I didn’t set this system up and have been trying my best to navigate it and learn. There is a sea of information here that I didn’t even get an introduction to, it’s incredibly overwhelming. It’s great to tell someone what the problem is, not giving any solutions is not helpful and makes Manjaro less accessible.

If you do not know what you actually need and use and why you enabled AUR at all, then we can give you the “big hammer” that will cure everything (and delete the obsolete and external stuff) but i didn’t want to start in such way because sometimes we then get “wait, i did those commands and it now updates fine but where is my favourite precious app XYZ [it went in the trash, obviously]”

The small hammer is to remove those packets one by one until you succeed to update, so you can keep part of the aur stuff that is not blocking your update now (but will surely block it next time)

Anyone have any ideas what’s happening

:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency ‘libicui18n.so=74-64’ required by electron25

electron22 and electron25 have been dropped from the official repository to the AUR so maintainance is on the user (remove old stuff you don’t need and about old electron if you really need use the -bin variant because building from source is very intese about storage, cpu and ram use), they depend on specifics library versions (this time the updated one is icu) so v74 of icu will no longer be present after the update

how to fix it?

Remove the AUR stuff that creates this kind issues before updating and reinstall later

About the library versions (soname version) the one that need a specific version but don’t declare it after an update will fail with error while loading shared libraries: libXXX.so.XXX: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory and need to be rebuild

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.