Error: extra database is inconsistent

Any idea?

sudo pacman -Syyu                                                        INT ✘  15m 1s  
[sudo] password for medin: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                  139.4 KiB  92.5 KiB/s 00:02 [---------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 extra                                                                                   8.3 MiB   303 KiB/s 00:28 [---------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 multilib                                                                              144.9 KiB  63.2 KiB/s 00:02 [---------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
error: extra database is inconsistent: filename of package haskell-gi-base is illegal
error: could not parse package description file 'haskell-gi-base-0.26.4-2/desc' from db 'extra'
error: failed to prepare transaction (invalid or corrupted database)

Sounds like a corrupt filesystem. Is your drive feeling okay? Either way, your database and/or cached packages are corrupt.

Note I moved your reply to it’s own topic for further troubleshooting.

1 Like

I concur with the assesment made by @Yochanan

This do point to an error inside the metadata file caused by the underlying filesystem.

Do a mv /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra.db /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra.db.bak and retry the sync operation.

2 Likes

It was due to a corrupted database, I cleaned /var/lib/pacman/sync/ and synced again without problems.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.