Epson Perfection V600 drivers (part2)

This topic is an iteration of the same but closed discussion epson-perfection-v600-drivers/6072/14 and epson-perfection-v600-drivers-on-manjaro/12867 .

The question is to scan with the Epson Perfection V600 scanner using Manjaro (in my case XFCE4).

• xsane 0.999 does not work. The scanner is not detected.
    Therefore Epson provides drivers, latest are epsonscan2 6.6.40.0-2 . There is also an equivalent AUR package named epsonscan2 .

Installing these lead to xsane detecting the right scanner hardware, but not being able to connect to it.

Failure during connecting to the hardware ā€˜epsonscan2:Perfection V600/etc.ā€™ Failure during hardware I/O.

• Using the simpler scanning application epsonscan2 lead to the same problem: It detects and apparently connects to the scanner, even opens the GUI application. But using that one (e.g. clicking on scan preview) leads to an application crash (ā€œScan data could not be saved.ā€ "Console return says: ā€œsegmentation fault (core dumped) epsonscan2ā€)

Overall, scanning with the Epsonscan2 app works fine by installing the provided .deb in Debian-based distros. So I would guess that the issue might be regarding the Arch architecture.

If someone can confirm this or has an idea to solve this, I would be very grateful. Thank you for the interest.

Hi @Balkonsky, and welcome!

Although I donā€™t know how recommended this is, but Iā€™m guessing it must at least be a bit since thee functionality is there, it would seem you are ale to install a .deb package using dpkg.

$ dpkg --help
Usage: dpkg [<option>...] <command>

Commands:
-i|--install       <.deb file name>... | -R|--recursive <directory>...
[...]

So you could, theoretically install it with:

sudo dpkg --install </path/t/deb.file>

From the terminal, where </path/t/deb.file> is, you guessed it :wink:, the path to the .deb file.

Hope this helps!

I have a Epson Perfection V550 photo - the AUR driver package is iscan-plugin-perfection-v550. I had to install with yay for it to build, for some reason. Then I use Vuescan and it works like a charm.

Thank you both, @Mirdarthos and @Pentastarch.
I tried to install with sudo dkpg --install. Certainly a good tip, though it didnā€™t work out, having this .deb included an ./install.sh script that can be executed directly (and which installs without issues).
Then I tried to even build from sourcecode, that went also through without issues. Yet both the issues with xsane and epsonscan2 reside.

The tip with installing the AUR package iscan-plugin-gt-x820 worked, the scanner can be used properly with (proprietary but feature-rich) VueScan application! So this is a more than viable way to make use of the scanner under Manjaro.

Thanks a lot, Manjaro community!

Nevertheless, I will further try to reach the AUR package maintainer and see if they can look into their epsonscan2 package. To ensure an opensource way to scan.

2 Likes

that will never work
(or end well, if you somehow manage to force it)

dpkg is Debianā€™s (and Ubuntuā€™s) package manager
pacman is what Arch uses (or pamac, for Manjaro)

foreign packages can be utilized - via a PKGBUILD from AUR for example
but they cannot be used directly

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.