Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner problems

Relatively new user to Linux. I have used several distros and I really like Manjaro with KDE Plasma desktop. I am still trying to understand things like GIT Hub. The biggest problem I am having is I cannot install my Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner. I have read several solutions, but they do not work or I do not understand them well enough. I have tried to install several packages such as the Iscan-plugin-gt-750-x750 from AUR. It always asks me to choose between a v100 or v500 scanner, neither of which I have. Any suggestions on how to install this scanner?

Thanks.

Hi,

I’m not 100% sure it will work but maybe you can try to install it from source.

You can find source files here:
http://support.epson.net/linux/src/scanner/iscan/

Download the files to your computer, extract the iscan_2.30.4-2.tar.gz file, read the README and INSTALL files carefully and follow the instructions there.

Whether your have the 4490 Office or 4490 Photo, it appears the driver is the same.

The iscan-plugin-gt-x750 AUR package is what you would want, however it hasn’t been updated since 2015. I flagged it out of date.

Looks like the PKGBUILD for gets the source from the Fedora repo, which only has v2.1.2-1 from 2015. Either the maintainer needs to get Fedora to update their repo, or they need to create a new PKGBUILD that gets the source from Epson, which is at v2.30.4-2

Yes, the PKGBUILD would need to be completely rewritten. It’s possible 6 years ago Epson was not providing DEB and RPM packages as they are now.