Entire Manjaro system hosed with qt5ct upgrade

All I wanted was a dark theme for the Dolphin file manager.
So like anyone I looked around on Google, and found a page that recommended this command:

sudo pacman -Syu qt5ct kvantum-qt5

A simple upgrade of the qt5ct and kvantum-qt5 packages, right? Looks innocent enough.
So I start this, and it ends up asking me endlessly “Replace xxx with xxx? Y/n”

After about 10 file replacements I see “beginning full system update”.
This starts to make me nervous. So I control-C out of it.
None of my file managers or internet browsers work anymore. The ones that are open don’t work either.
Okay.
Not knowing what else to do, because I can’t do anything… I reboot the system.
Now its stuck on a blaring red

[FAILED] Failed to start OpenVPN service for server.
[FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus System Message Bus.

scrolling endlessly, and I can’t even boot the system at all.

Is there a way to boot to last known configuration?
How in the world could I have known this online suggestion would crash the whole system. It was in a forum, I can’t find the page.
Uchhh.

It didn’t. You hosed the system yourself, by interrupting the upgrade process. Now you are stuck with incompatible system components and libraries, and had you kept your system up to date, then you probably also wouldn’t have had that many questions about package replacements.

What you need to do now is explained in the tutorial below. :arrow_down:

3 Likes

I wasn’t impatient!
The system was no longer working.
Anyone in their right mind would have done the same thing.
How could I possibly have known that this was an entire system upgrade.
Could a simple message, “This will perform a Kernel upgrade, and if interrupted could hose your entire system. DO NOT REBOOT
Do you wish to continue?” have been too difficult to put into this script?

Is that asking for too much?
Jesus christ, sometimes I feel like the Manjaro developers are sadistic!

I can’t believe Manjaro doesn’t have a reboot to last known configuration either.

:mag: timeshift /snapper

Yes, but only if your system is up to date :wink:

In my update-process (but this is trizen):

In between “I start this” and “asking me endlessly …” there is a list of the packages included in this update, and a question: Shall we proceed ?

When installing a program this is maximal 10 packages

When the system is not up to date this is 50 or more !
:footprints:

2 Likes

timeshift/snapper?
What?

It does, on the supported file system. Anyway it is up to you to do your backups/system restoration point (TIMESHIFT, search).

//EDIT:

It does what you asked for, you synced, refreshed, and updated the packages, and installed these two.

-S, --sync
           Synchronize packages. Packages are installed directly from the remote repositories, including all dependencies required to run the packages.
           For example, pacman -S qt will download and install qt and all the packages it depends on. If a package name exists in more than one
           repository, the repository can be explicitly specified to clarify the package to install: pacman -S testing/qt. You can also specify version
           requirements: pacman -S "bash>=3.2". Quotes are needed, otherwise the shell interprets ">" as redirection to a file.

-y, --refresh
           Download a fresh copy of the master package database from the server(s) defined in pacman.conf(5). This should typically be used each time you use --sysupgrade or -u. Passing two --refresh or -y flags will force a refresh of all package databases, even if they appear to be up-to-date.
       -u, --sysupgrade
           Upgrades all packages that are out-of-date. Each currently-installed package will be examined and upgraded if a newer package exists. A report
           of all packages to upgrade will be presented, and the operation will not proceed without user confirmation. Dependencies are automatically
           resolved at this level and will be installed/upgraded if necessary.

Pass this option twice to enable package downgrades; in this case, pacman will select sync packages whose versions do not match with the local
           versions. This can be useful when the user switches from a testing repository to a stable one.

Additional targets can also be specified manually, so that -Su foo will do a system upgrade and install/upgrade the "foo" package in the same
           operation.

This should also have been pretty obvious before you confirmed everything that you were doing a system update and not just installing two packages (which can be done, but I’ll not give you more tools to hurt yourself with).

4 Likes

Excuse me for butting in here,

It’s called a Backup. And the onus is on you to make it, or leave it, but you must deal with the consequences of your actions.

They’re not. They just can’t predict how every dumb*** will **** stuff up, and be prepared for all eventualities.

The scripts are very verbose. Unfortunately the developers can’t make you read the messages. That’s up to you.

3 Likes

You interrupted the upgrade, didn’t you? And you didn’t read the tutorial I just posted before you hit the Reply button, or else you would have understood that the first line in that tutorial was written in jest.

I’d say that “impatient” is the proper description. :wink:

Because you interrupted the upgrade process.

No, they wouldn’t. But all impatient n00bs do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Your update notifier should have told you that. It’s an icon in the system tray.

Feel free to file a feature request with the Arch Linux developers, because they’re the ones who wrote the ALPM package management system that we use.

Manjaro is an Arch derivative, and we use the Arch Linux Package Management (ALPM) system. Even most of the n00bs know this.

But even then still, we cannot and will not assume responsibility for any damage caused by the misuse of the operating system by our users. If you get drunk and drive your car against a wall, are you then also going to blame the manufacturer of the car, or perhaps the construction company that built that wall?

I rest my case, Your Honor. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah this is what people want to hear from support when their system is hosed.
For the record, a simple warning message “DO NOT REBOOT” put into a script that updates the kernel works wonders. How long does this take?
Unless you are sadistic and are simply setting people up to crash the system, and sitting back and snickering. Maybe so.

Because obviously people here providing support are waiting for people calling them sadistic, of course. And of course Manjaro devs put traps in scripts so user mess up their system (by cancelling a system update in the middle of the process…) this is of course all intentional and you’re absolutely not the problem here.

2 Likes

I did interrupt updates before. (this is dangerous !)

• When done while the update process is downloading files this may do no harm.

After all packages have been downloaded, the actual UPDATE begins. If you interrupt this, you call for disaster. It can go well. But most of the time it doesn’t go well.

Another thing is doing it through the GUI instead of the command line. During an update, the GUI can become unresponsive at any time.

And the worst is when the GUI thinks to put the system into sleep mode during the update. You can look for such stories here. The last one isn’t even a week old.

Everybody has been warned (if he read the Documentation)

In the first reply you got the right answer with instructions to repair.
That is super-fast (others had to wait till reply #49)

1 Like

It is common knowledge for Arch based distributions - the command to update your system is

pacman -Syu 

That is the correct command - one should never sync new packages unless the whole system is up-to-date

That is expected as you issue a command to sync updates and add packages

Why does it make you nervous?

Thats not a problem because all packages are downloaded before the actual update transaction begins.

That is because you interupted the transaction - so your action caused your issue.

There is - if you use btrfs and and timeshift

The suggestion did not crash your system

It is a completely valid sync command - it is your subsequent actions which caused your system issues.

Let clear something up for you.

Manjaro Linux is not blame for your problem - you can only blame yourself.

1 Like

The Manjaro forum is not Manjaro devs and/or “official” support. I, we, almost all of us here, are voluntarily here. From all over the world.

Any and all updates are like that. You shouldn’t reboot during the update process. It will break.

That’s common sense.

But, then again, common sense isn’t all that common.

2 Likes

We are all volunteers here. This is not a paid or corporate support forum. Manjaro is a community-driven GNU/Linux distribution. And it was you who hosed your system.

Probably a bit longer than using your brain mass. Who in their right mind would interrupt a system upgrade?

Besides, for that matter, Manjaro is a rolling-release distribution, just like Arch. This means that you are expected to keep your system up to date. If you cannot do that, then you should be looking for a non-rolling distribution instead.

Either way, as I said, feel free to file a feature request with the Arch developers.

:arrow_right: Arch Wiki: Getting involved with Arch Linux development

No, we are neither sadistic nor are we sitting here snickering. But that said, we don’t react very well to false allegations, arrogance and stupidity. And especially not if all of those things appear to be manifesting in a single user at the same time.

The above all said, you have been given instructions on how to repair your system, but you found it more important to sit here and continue spouting venom than to read the tutorial I posted. As such, there is no point in continuing this discussion. This thread has run its course and will be closed.

4 Likes