Ensure minimal performance for UI/system

Hi !
Today, I’ve pushed my system to it’s maximum (VMs + big compilation operation) and my UI (KDE) started to lag, to finally freeze.
I’m not really surprised because I was using 99.3% of CPU, and like 95% of RAM.
Nevertheless, I’d like to know if I can ensure that my system/UI/other important processes (like a task manager I would have liked to launch) will always get resources to run.

I know about “process priority” (even though I’m not sure this is what I’m looking for), but I’d like a way to “prioritize” a whole binary more than a process

Do you know if this is possible ?
(I don’t know if this is the right place to ask, feel free to redirect me to the right category/forum for this !)

Do you have swap? :slight_smile:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Swap
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap

No, I don’t have Swap, I can add some, but do you really think that’s what I need ? My CPU also had this “problem”, I don’t think expanding my RAM will fix it

And I’d really like to just ensure theses minimal resources, because everything can happen, maybe tomorrow it’ll be a bugged program that will consume everything if not restricted, or… I don’t know, many things can happen, and I’d like to keep control on my system in theses cases

But thanks for your response, I’ll try it !

So yeah it should help

Of course it won’t help your CPU, or much else, but it should ensure you don’t experience a freeze/crash because you ran out of ram. :slight_smile:

Your topic title doesn’t really make any sense in the context of your post.

What does that mean? A process is started by a binary.

See Improving Performance: Adjusting priorities of processes

2 Likes

If the above doesn’t help, see here

3 Likes

Yeah, a process is started by a binary. So by prioritizing a binary, I would like all process started by this binary to be prioritized
Of course, I don’t know if it exists, but in theory it is possible, right ?

Okay, I’ll try it, thanks

Your post reads as if memory exhaustion was your problem. Process priorities won’t/can’t help you there.

You might want to take a look at cgroups.

1 Like

I just had the same problem today, but only my CPU was 100%, so now I’m sure that “fixing” only RAM will not fix the problem.

Okay, I’ll check it out tomorrow !

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.