Endless Xorg / sddm process in Manjaro-KDE

My problem is as follows.

From time to time, Xorg starts a process with a heavy CPU load (50-100% only for one thread) and animation a little freezes on the screen (for example, letters are displayed with a delay of about 0.5-2 seconds after they are entered using the keyboard or with micro freezes when video playback).

Please help me figure out what this process does and how to fix the problem with the fact that the graphics has a delay due to it.

Below I leave the full display of the command (taken from “top” command):

Xorg -nolisten tcp -background none -seat seat0 vt1 -auth /var/run/sddm/{efd6b83b-791f-4698-bfmc-7a0badf342c7} -noreset -displayfd 17

I’m using Manjaro (KDE) and this problem has been happening for at least a year despite regular updates.

What I managed to do myself: If I somewhat restart the graphical shell: press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (displays a terminal) and then return to Ctrl+Alt+F1 (graphics), then the system reports: Desktop effects were restartet due to a graphics reset, sometimes Xorg disappears process (not always). Sometimes Xorg process disappears on its own There is a possibility that this may have something to do with Firefox, which is always open.

Additional Information:

There were big problems with graphics from the very beginning of using a laptop with Linux. From time to time I have to restart the graphical shell due to various glitches when using the computer for a long time without restarting (sleep only), say 20 days (for example, some pop-ups are displayed in black with a 50% probability)
Also sometimes plasmashell takes gigabytes of RAM, which leads to a freeze, and is treated only with “killall plasmashell” and restart

Computer: Lenovo Legion Y540
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
OS: 5.10.161-1-MANJARO (KDE)

1 Like


Its the same for me I have 64 GB of ram and that proces get me out of memmory:

4180722 root 20 0 45,9g 45,1g 85144 R 95,0 71,9 1719:08 /usr/lib/Xorg -nolisten tcp -background none -seat seat0 vt1 -auth /var/run/sddm/{c6e31f68-9d74-46eb-879e-385c3dbe66ff} -noreset -displayfd 17

           total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available

Mem: 62Gi 50Gi 8,1Gi 477Mi 3,8Gi 10Gi
Swap: 0B 0B 0B



I found the solution. A new version of conky was making the troubles. I develop a timer to restart the process once a day to free the memory