Eliminating Keyring Prompts

I would like to know how the eliminate continually being required to enter my password in all manner of different places. I do NOT want to have to enter my password other than when I use SUDO in the Terminal.

You wrote in your profile you are using Xfce, then Iā€™d recommend:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Keyring

To use GNOME Keyring, simply tick the checkbox Launch GNOME services on startup in the Advanced tab of Session and Startup in Xfceā€™s settings. This will also disable gpg-agent and ssh-agent.
Xfce - ArchWiki

Tried the suggestion and got ā€” ā€œDid Not Connect: Potential Security Issueā€. Interesting! Apparently the site is mis-configured - or something.

The title says you want to eliminate the keyring, but your request

makes me think you want to enable a password manager which meant to enable the keyring.

The ArchWiki site is working fine for me.

I think you are saying that whever you issue an sudo command you do not want to be requested to enter your password, everā€¦ if so then you can use visudo to edit the sudoers file, move to the end of the file and add:

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL where username is your account username, obviously.

No that is not correct. I simply do not want to constantly be asked to type in my password. Iā€™m fine with having to use password with SUDO but not because I want to go into my browser or to continue working after being away from my computer for a while.

Do you mean you donā€™t want your screen to get locked?

At the risk of the obvious, why donā€™t you simply set no password for your account and then youā€™ll never need to enter itā€¦

However, if the only thing which is bothering you is your screen locking when left idle for n minutes, turn off screen lockingā€¦ you donā€™t state which desktop environment youā€™re using so we canā€™t give you precise instructions for turning it off.

The site suggested now loads; I tried it and followed the suggestion but it only partially accomplishes what I want. I have no NEED for using a password to get into things after the system sleeps but that continues.

Turn off the screen lock for your desktop environment. That means youā€™ll only ever enter a password to initially log in.

1 Like

Maybe OP is referring to the mangled way chrome tries to handle keyring?
(if not handled properly some folks get prompt every time they open chrome)

Otherwise ā€¦ what password prompts are you trying to avoid exactly?
Some things require admin rights - such as Manjaro Settings Manager to install kernels.

It seems the title of Eliminating Keyrings has nothing to do with what OP wants to achieve.Seems like heā€™s sick of entering his password to unlock the screen merely because he stepped awayā€¦ the lack of accurate problem description or any info on his current config isnā€™t giving anyone much to work with.

1 Like

Yes I thought thats a given.
Well ā€¦ not ā€˜nothing to do withā€™ ā€¦ I think they want to not be prompted so often with keyring validation.
I have edited the title to reflect that.

But yes ā€¦ I dont think disabling password or sudo validation or any of those things are the issue.
Sure you could disable all these things ā€¦ but what the problem really is is there is something wrong with OPs configuration for unlocking keyring/wallet and keeping it unlocked.
(that and some confusion of terms and expectations I suppose)

Of course we cant know for sure until we get some better description.