EFI partition take legacy boot flag instead of EFI how to change it?

I have the same problem like this …

[here]

OK UUID is correct. You did not choose the windows efi partition:

Couldn’t post link or photo so i get the reply

However, run gparted or kparted and rightclick on the efi partition, click on “manage flags” and change it to “boot”. Not “legacy_boot”. It have to be “boot, esp” at the end.

I installed manjaro kde 4 times made boot partiton separately from windows and give it boot flag and after installation done and restart always goes directly to windows … tried this
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi
from the installation tutorials but didn’t work for me

after some searching i found i have the same problem in this topic that mentioned earlier… solutionis run gparted or kparted and change the flag to boot ,esp
how i can run gparted ?

You use gparted from the live USB installation media. I don’t remember if is it installed by default, but if not, you can install it with pamac or pacman.

Anyway, if you already have an EFI partition (also called ESP), I recommend to use it. That is what this partition is for. Just don’t format it (you would lose Windows boot if you do it). I have even seen some motherboards that doesn’t recognize a second ESP.

Edit: It seems that you modified a little bit your question. You only need boot flag (esp it’s just the same flag with another name). In gparted both flags are shown, but actually there are in sync (as they are the same flag). If you enable one of them, the other one is also enable, and the same if you disable one of them.

I can’t find it
How can i install it from live usb ?

If i use windows efi partition sometimes it’s windows update overwrite it and i want be able to boot to manjaro i want it separated no one can effect the other …
Is it wrong if i use separate partitons ?

To install gparted, in the live USB, open a terminal and execute:

sudo pacman -Sy gparted

But you can also change the flag with KDE’s partition manager.

There is some people that says that Windows deletes Manjaro’s boot (or grub), but that does not happen. I have dual booted Windows and Manjaro for over two years without problems (and I have installed all Windows updates). Anyway, if something happens to grub, you can always boot with a live USB and reinstall it in a moment. There are a lot of guides on how to do that.

2 Likes

You can also use the Gparted Live media here: GParted -- Download

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.