Eclipse-java has very small icons

Hi, I searched forums already but I found a lot of different results that mostly seamed irrelevant or that i didn’t understand.So I’m making my own post here.

I know, the AUR isn’t officially supported but I have to use eclipse for college, if this doesn’t work, I’ll just have to use windows. If you know better ways to install eclipse, let me know. For now, eclipse seams to work just fine except for the scaling.

I have a 2560x1600 screen built into my laptop and eclipse doesn’t scale the icons. They are way to small. I’m using 125% scaling in the KDE settings.

If you know any way to force eclipse to use bigger icons, tell me / link me to it. Thank you for your time.

Mathieu.

mathieub@mathieu-82l5
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.15.78-1-MANJARO
Uptime: 4m
Packages: 1246
Shell: zsh 5.9
Resolution: 2560x1600
DE: KDE 5.99.0 / Plasma 5.26.3
WM: KWin
GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: breeze
Disk: 23G / 142G (17%)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics @ 12x 3.3GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU
RAM: 2603MiB / 13832MiB

Do you mean how to increase Eclipse toolbar icon size?

Try to edit the config file eclipse.ini to add:

-Dswt.enable.autoScale=true
-Dswt.autoScale=150
-Dswt.autoScale.method=nearest

These toolbar icons have nothing to do with OS. but Eclipse itself.

2 Likes

After a while, I realized the line number were getting truncated and then the file explorer on the left stopped working, when I deleted those three line form eclipse.ini everything wen back to normal, including the size of the icons. I went back and forth multiple time and the scalling works but it breaks the ui in a lot of places.

I looked into the issue further and found this:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=563923
It seems like icon scalling just isn’t supported, is there a way to use the second method from the article you sent or is that kind of scalling windows exclusive ?

I did not use icon scaling in Eclipse.

• Try to switch X11 to Wayland, if it helps?

• Try to open Display configuration → Legacy Applications (X11) → Select Scaled by the system

Screenshot_20221123_091228