Easy-abc won't start

I’ve installed the music notation application ‘EasyABC’ using yay (used yay because the application isn’t listed for installation in Pamac).
The icon has appeared in the Multimedia list but clicking on it produces no response.
If I try launching it from a terminal I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/easyabc/easy_abc.py”, line 428, in
from midi2abc import midi_to_abc, Note, duration2abc
File “/opt/easyabc/midi2abc.py”, line 23, in
from midi.MidiInFile import MidiInFile
File “/opt/easyabc/midi/MidiInFile.py”, line 3, in
from RawInstreamFile import RawInstreamFile
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘RawInstreamFile’

I’m not actually interested in the midi facilities of EasyABC (it’s only the score editing functions I need).
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

That error is pretty common when a python package has not been updated for python 3.9 yet.

Please see the top comment on the AUR page.
It mentions building from git for better upstream support.

Thanks. Happy to ‘build from git’ if that’s better and not too complicated. Is there an easy guide? (I’m a musician, not a computer techie!)

Installed from git after finding out how (we really need clearer non-techie guidance on this), but it hasn’t helped. Exactly the same failure as before.

As I don’t need the midi facilities I’ve now #-remarked the import line that was stopping the program, and it now opens and works for the purposes I need. Hiding the problem rather than fixing it!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.