DVD video not working despite everything else fed to the drive works

Hello!

Yesterday I decided to hook up an old blu-ray drive (SH-B123). And for some reasons it failed to read DVD video. I’ve tried everything else, Blu-ray, Dvd-R Audio CD, CD-R,… everything works except DVD Videos. It’s not a region issue since the DVD videos are the same zone than the drive and they works perfectly when I hook-up the drive to a windows machine.
When I put any DVD Video in the drive, it becomes unresponsive I can’t even open the rack. /dev/sr0/ is there. But it never appears in the Dolphin for mounting (like any other medium does). And when I force VLC to read the DVD it become unresponsive too.
I do have libdvdcss installed.
Anybody experienced that before and may know a solution?

Are ffpmeg, libdvdread, libdvdnav and libbluray installed on your system?

i’m always installing k3b (a burning app) because it will install a lot of additional libs and modules that are common used and needed if you wanna play/read dvd’s.
it’s worth a try.

also this:

2 Likes

If i remember correctly there was some other package too required libdvdcss.

All these packages were installed. I’ve just added k3b just in case but same story.
Also Blu-ray video have been working great.

Looking at the kernel log, I note that every time I plug a DVD Video I’ve got an I/O error. I don’t have such error with any other medium. here is an example:

I/O error, dev sr0, sector 14942272 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0.

And that’s not a problem of the DVD itself as any DVD of my collection does that (with a different sector number) and they all work fine with my dvd player.

Sounds like a hardware issue with the DVD drive itself.

Actually the drive works without a glitch on a windows machine. I just checked again. the DVD videos work perfectly there.

Have you tried with a different kernel? Run with LTS and see what happens. Else show the logs for those as well.

1 Like