sudo modprobe -v snd-hda-intel
sudo alsa force-reload

and test, no need to reboot, if it doesnt work try this:

sudo modprobe -v snd-hda-intel
sudo modprobe -v snd-soc-avs
sudo modprobe -v snd-soc-skl
sudo alsa force-reload

try audio

   ~  sudo alsa force-reload                                                                        1 ✘ 

sudo: alsa: command not found

Also no sound from bluetooth

Thank you for your efforts, brahma! Lets coninue tomorrow, because its getting late here and need to wake up in 6 hours :slight_smile:

ok, you can try this tomorrow…
pipewire has better support for bluetooth, so thats probably the reason… found possible solution, so lets try it:
create again this file:
kate /etc/modprobe.d/audio.conf
and put there this line:
options snd-hda-intel index=-2
save it, reboot and enter into bios and check if:
fast boot is disabled - you may not have this option

if it didnt work, download linux mint iso, flash it and boot with it and test if the audio is working there

It didn’t work and sof-firmware should not support skylake platform.
Tested linux mint, not work.

Hi @jejer, @MadSin, or whoever cares,

See this page about it on the ArchWiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ASUS_C302#Sound

Thanks, @Mirdarthos. I have tested the firmware and It doesn’t work for new kernels.

kernel 6.0 supports the new intel AVS driver, but it’s not ready yet for skylake. we should just wait for it.

Good news jejer! :slight_smile: We will wait for the new 6.0… kernel

Hello, folks! How goes it? Are there any Asus C302 users here?
The kernel 6.2 began to ask the following binaries:

$ sudo dmesg | grep firmware
[ 6.141167] snd_soc_avs 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for intel/avs/nau8825-tplg.bin failed with error -2
[ 6.148288] snd_soc_avs 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for intel/avs/max98357a-tplg.bin failed with error -2
[ 6.159871] snd_soc_avs 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for intel/avs/hda-80862809-tplg.bin failed with error -2
[ 6.160195] snd_soc_avs 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for intel/avs/dmic-tplg.bin failed with error -2

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf 

options snd_intel_dspcfg dsp_driver=4

Parameter dsp_driver=4 is not likely to work
the modprobe option only recognises parameter values from 0 to 3

github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/sound/hda/intel-dsp-config.c

Oh, thanks for usefull massage.

The dsp_driver=4 option sets the driver mode to “4”, which is the “force-sfw” mode. This mode is used when you want to force the use of system firmware instead of firmware provided by the DSP firmware package.

With option 3 kernel module says:

[ 8.255183] sof-audio-pci-intel-skl 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for intel/avs/skl/community/dsp_basefw.bin failed with error -2
[ 8.255193] sof-audio-pci-intel-skl 0000:00:1f.3: error: sof firmware file is missing, you might need to
[ 8.255200] sof-audio-pci-intel-skl 0000:00:1f.3: error: failed to load DSP firmware -2

Sof-firmware packedge version 2.2.4-1 installed but did not contain the required binary nau8825-tplg.bin and max98357a-tplg at least. A new binary name appeared community/dsp_basefw.bin - it is interesting.
I tried all the options and with legacy aplay -l gives List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]

Is it the right thing? I don’t have HDMI w/o docking station…

P.S. On Github there is a branch with avs-topology-xml repository. Did anyone tried that?

I cannot find anything in documentation about ‘force-sfw’ mode
websearches respond with false-positives for alternative uses of SFW

If Audio codec is detected and configured correctly, aplay -l should show a playback device for analog audio before the HDMI outputs like this:
https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=16183f9a77&log=aplay
but that is the only online scan showing an analog output in addition to HDMI outputs

I suggest check the full journal text to find out what you might need to do

[ 8.255193] sof-audio-pci-intel-skl 0000:00:1f.3: error: sof firmware file is missing, you might need to

error: sof firmware file is missing, you might need to download it from GitHub - thesofproject/sof-bin: Firmware and topology binaries

I am not familiar with all tose topologies, why not have those binaries intalled from AUR?

I cannot find anything in documentation about ‘force-sfw’ mode

The maintainer told to use options snd_intel_dspcfg dsp_driver=4 for compiled topology. Did anyone try that with Skylake?

No mention of force-sfw mode or dsp_driver=4 on github page, but it does link to another github page that mentions use of dsp_driver=2
GitHub - thesofproject/avs-topology-xml at for-skylake-driver
and has more information about how to create binary firmware using alsatplg

Right you are! But the option is working - it asks the specific binary name. I received those instructions optionally, when asked which topology name is better to use. As far as kernel preprogrammed to use those paths:
ntel/avs/nau8825-tplg.bin
intel/avs/max98357a-tplg.bin
intel/avs/hda-80862809-tplg.bin
intel/avs/dmic-tplg.bin

I thought the above binaries should already be somewhere. Nevertheless I tried to compile them but failed to install because invalid firmware error which has nothing to do with the name of the topology I think. This is my report and Intel did not give any answer yet. I think they are simply wait while somebody else will try to do the same :slightly_smiling_face:

The link to which kernel points is not supprted actively - the last changes made to that branch is about a year ago

@brahma driver is present and in use, but without proper firmware it will not work

$ sudo lspci -v | grep -i -A7 “Audio”

00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
DeviceName: Multimedia audio controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at 9112c000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Memory at 91110000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Kernel driver in use: sof-audio-pci-intel-skl
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl, snd_soc_avs, snd_sof_pci_intel_skl

00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at 9113a000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
I/O ports at efa0 [size=32]

Trying to compile binary file from XML topology file with playback sources not defined

~/git/avsdk-main/avstplg/build/bin/Debug/net6.0$ wine avstplg -c ~/git/avs-topology-xml-main/i2s/max98357a-tplg.xml -o max98357a-tplg
~/git/avsdk-main/avstplg/build/bin/Debug/net6.0$ alsatplg -c max98357a-tplg -o max98357a-tplg.bin
ALSA lib dapm.c:225:(tpldoneg_build_routes) undefined sink widget/stream 'ssp%d Tx'
ALSA lib dapm.c:247:(tplg_build_routes) undefined source widget/stream 'Built-in Speakers-playback'

Tested under Clear Linux. Solved.

$ uname -r
6.6.1-1385.native

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.