Dumb question: Was support dropped for the LXDE/Qt, Awesome, etc editions for Manjaro?

First off, hello! I have used Manjaro here and there, and used KDE as my main driver, and recenty started using i3, for my first window manager, and I love it so far, so I decided to join the forum!

Now to the question, how come has the editions of Manjaro like LXDE/Qt and Awesome, etc… cannot be seen in the editions menu on the main website? Are they just officially unsupported or what? I apologize for the dumb question.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

The editions you are referring to are not official Manjaro editions; they are community editions.

Concretely, what this means is that the official Manjaro editions are developed and maintained by the entire Manjaro developer team, whereas the community editions are released and maintained by “the communiity”. In practice, this is usually one of the developers on the main team who decides to release and maintain one of these alternative editions in his or her spare time, and this is the case for each of the community releases ─ e.g. LXDE, LXqt, Awesome, BSPWM, i3, Deepin, Budgie, Cinnamon and MATE.

Next to that, there are also spins. Spins are developed and maintained by certain members of the forum, and their difference from the official and community releases can range from a small difference in theming to significant differences in packaging ─ e.g. not including certain packages by default, and/or including other packages by default, or a different configuration of the default settings, or a different kernel, and so on.

So, the bottom line is that there are three different types of Manjaro…:

1. Official Editions
  2. Community Editions
  3. Spins

:wink:

2 Likes

howdy :cowboy_hat_face:

Manjaro is like a big box of lego. You can put the elements together every way you like.

Some components work well together - others not so much.

1 Like