Dual monitor stops working on GPU HDMI port

I have a dual monitor setup connected to an RTX 3090, one through DP and the other through HDMI. I recently upgraded my system and a bunch of display issues followed. Ultimately, I got it working with kernel 6.1 and using the video-nvidia-470xx driver. My DP monitor works as normal. However, on startup my HDMI monitor is disabled and has no output/detects no input. The output of xrandr shows HDMI-0 as disconnected.

Here’s the part I don’t understand: I reconnected my monitor into a different HDMI port of the GPU, and it was detected on HDMI-1. I was able to get it to display using xrandr --output HDMI-1 --auto. So I then went into my nvidia-settings and generated a new xorg.conf. After generating that, I ran sudo systemctl restart display-manager, hoping that the changes would take effect. Instead, the HDMI monitor stops working and goes back to not getting detected . It only works again if I plug it back into the port that originally didn’t work, HDMI-0. I can repeat this process to break the display, and the only way to get it to be detected is to plug it into the alternate port and re-run xrandr --output HDMI-1 --auto.

I don’t have any idea what could be the issue. Please let me know if there are relevant logs I should post.

Hello,

I am not sure if I’ll be able to help, but as a recommendation with RTX 3090 you should use nvidia-525.89 driver and if you don’t have display showing with 525.89 driver, you add ibt=off in grub file and update grub. 2nd recommendation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhiLWxJgiAo&t=684s&ab_channel=ChrisTitusTech
This video helped me and I don’t have any issues so far with dual monitor setup.

I use the script that is in the description of the video plus the xorg.conf that is generated by nvidia-settings. One monitor works on 165Hz the other on 144Hz.

Thanks for the suggestions. I updated my drivers to 525.89 and have display working for my primary monitor, but the problem persists for the other one. If I open nvidia-settings I can see both monitors, but the second monitor is listed as disabled, and if I try to enable it the setting switches back to disabled.

Hello,

This is how I have the file from the video that I linked above

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf  --> you will need sudo permissions to create this file

Section "Monitor"
### Monitor Identity - Typically HDMI-0 or DisplayPort-0
    Identifier   "HDMI-0"

### Setting Resolution and Modes
## Modeline is usually not required, but you can force resolution with it
    Option       "PreferredMode" "2560x1440"

### Positioning the Monitor
    Option      "Position" "2560 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
### Monitor Identity - Typically HDMI-0 or DisplayPort-0
    Identifier    "DP-4"

### Setting Resolution and Modes
## Modeline is usually not required, but you can force resolution with it
    Option       "Primary"       "true"
    Option       "PreferredMode" "2560x1600"

### Positioning the Monitor
    Option      "Position" "0 0"
EndSection

Run xrandr -q in terminal. You will see the ids of your monitor and replace them instead of mine.
This is how mine look after I ran the command.

HDMI-0 connected 2560x1440+2560+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 600mm x 340mm
   2560x1440    144.00*+ 120.00    59.95
DP-4 connected primary 2560x1600+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 16mm x 10mm
   2560x1600     60.00 + 165.00*

After you do this reboot.
You sholud see the both monitors, with 60Hz refresh rate.

If you have high refresh rate monitors open nvidia setting and set that there and save to xorg.conf through the app.

If this doesn’t help, am sorry but, I won’t be of any help, as my knowledge is limited.

Cheers…