Dual booting Manjaro with Ubuntu

Trying to dual boot Manjaro with existing Ubuntu.
DE: Gnome
CPU: i3 7100U (2.4 GHz quad core)
GPU: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)
Device: Dell 5000 series
I am using Ubuntu and is trying to dual boot with Manjaro KDE using live USB. But when I select the live USB having Manjaro, it shows this error (picture)
It says: “Operating System Loader has no signature. Incompatible with SecureBoot”. Then there is only the option to shut down.
I tried multiple times but can’t fix it !
Can I get some help in figuring out and fixing the problem ?

Manjaro does not support Secure Boot. You can get it to work, but we don’t offer any support for that.

You should be able to turn off Secure Boot in the UEFI settings, though. :man_shrugging:

How to turn off SecureBoot in UEFI settings ? Also, would turning off SecureBoot have any adverse effect ?

That depends on your specific UEFI version. The motherboard manufacturer should offer a UEFI manual on their website.

It doesn’t have any adverse effects, because all Secure Boot does is prevent operating systems from booting if they have not been signed with a Microsoft-supplied key.

Secure Boot was added to the UEFI specification because Microsoft is on the UEFI Comittee and ─ this was still while Steve Ballmer was the Microsoft CEO ─ they wanted to prevent GNU/Linux from gaining more market share. And unfortunately for you Windows users, Windows 11 will require Secure Boot enabled.

In addition to all of the above, Secure Boot isn’t quite as secure either. Laboratory experiments have already shown that malware can circumvent the Secure Boot restrictions.

UEFI is some kind of BIOS. So enter it at your boot process via F1, DEL or any other key your manufacturer set.

I am using Ubuntu for about a year and trying to dual boot with Manjaro and have no plans of going back to windows. Thanks for the help. It was really great!:blush:

1 Like

In that case, disabling Secure Boot is the way to go. Ubuntu supports it but doesn’t need it.

2 Likes