Dual boot: trying to boot into Manjaro (gnome) hangs on acer screen

Hi all,

I’m new quite new to Manjaro and as of recent I can’t boot anymore in Manjaro. I’d like to figure the origin of this problem and especially how to fix this. So the problem is that when I try to boot Manjaro from the grub menu it hangs on the acer screen. I don’t recall doing any updates on Manjaro and I didn’t boot into windows between the last successful boot in Manjaro (in the afternoon it was fine but in the evening I couldn’t boot anymore).

I searched a bit around on the forum and found some topics that said that perhaps the grub was corrupted but I’m not sure if this could be the case here?

I understand that this is not much info but I simply don’t know which info is helpful and how to get that info. Of course I’m willing to provide needed info if told how to get it :slight_smile:.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @JorisI :wink:

First thing you can do… is removing quiet from the grub kernel parameter.

At the grub menu, type e and remove quiet and boot with F10. The you will see at least where it hangs.

Thanks a lot for the tip!
I was back at home with my laptop today and I tried booting again. Oddly enough, at my home it booted fine. Might it have something to do that I already had network access at home? I’ll see if the problem happens again and I’ll remove the quiet to see the error message.

So I was again away from home and the problem did happen again. First time I tried booting manjaro I got something like “failed: pkgbuild doesn’t exist”. After this I removed the quiet from the grub like you said and I booted with F10. Two lines appeared quickly after which I got the acer screen with underneath three dots and Manjaro. It didn’t get passed this so I hit ctrl+alt+del after which it said “no bootable device found”. Currently I can’t get in the grub menu anymore nor can I boot in anything beside linux using F12.
It’s really odd that I could just boot normally at home.
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Joris

It seems to me windows has overwritten the efi partition on the last update. You will need to reinstall grub with manjaro live boot disk:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

Also keep sure that the UUID fo the efi partition in lsblk and in /etc/fstab are same.

Electrifying greetings,
megavolt

Okay, but I don’t see how this would explain that I could but just find at home :stuck_out_tongue:.
I’ll definitely have to reinstall the grub now anyway but the original problem confuses me :slight_smile:

If I understand correctly, it boots at home, but not when not at home?

It did indeed. Now it probably won’t because somehow my GRUB got corrupted while trying to boot this time. (It seems that if I hit reply to you it doesn’t always show up on the post? Do you still get a notification of it?)

So my exams are done and I finally tried to recover the grub. I followed the wiki document and to me everything looked fine except that manjaro still won’t boot. I tried to work things out but so far no succes. I first got a message [sdb] no caching mode found and [sdb] assuming drive cache: write through but I read that this was no problem, however I didn’t get passed this message. Another curiosity is that I can’t access the bios menu anymore suddenly. Anyone can help me work this out (@megavolt )?

Normally i get this message when i boot from a flash drive… I assume then that it doesn’t boot your local installation…

I guess you have then some kind of fastboot enabled at your BIOS so it pass the initialization very fast.

Anyway… no information, no help :man_shrugging:

Are you able to boot a live session ?

Yeah, I can boot a live session. I backed up some files and I am going to try a fresh installation probably. I didn’t re-enable fastboot manually. Could windows to this in the background? :stuck_out_tongue: