Dual boot error after a Windows 11 update

I had a dual boot with manjaro + windows 10 for a while. I decided to upgrade windows 10 to 11 because of a few windows issues. Now the grub loader dump me in the grud rescue mode with an “unknown file system”. Using a manjaro usb drive, I was able to go back in the usual grub menu (press c) (search.file and configfile) and return to the Manjaro system. I did a “grub-update” but still at boot, grub dump me back again in the rescue mode.

Thankfully, my UEFI bios had two boot entries, one is the windows loader so I can boot in windows 11 directly. Manjaro is still there and can it be fix without the tedious manjaro usb drive ?

Btw “secure boot” is still OFF and doesn’t seem to be required by windows 11.

Note: imagine in the middle of Windows 11 install/reboot routine the grub loader refuse to let me back in ANY system. Panic, Panic. Thanks God, the restored grub menu through the USB drive, containing the windows entry still work and got me back again in the windows installation. Fiouf …

1 Like

and can you boot into manjaro via the UEFI?
if not you probably need to reinstall grub… boot into manjaro live usb, chroot:
manjaro-chroot -a
reinstall grub:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
mkinitcpio -P && update-grub

then open this file:
nano /etc/default/grub
and edit this line to look like this:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
save it with ctrl+x, exit chroot:
exit
reboot
and then run this command from your installation so that windows is detected in grub:
sudo update-grub
reboot

Yes both OS were booting through UEFI before. No change in the bios. I was thinking about re-installing grub again but it seems to be there on boot up, except for some reason it doesn’t like Windows 11. Once I get back the grub menu, I can use the windows entry just fine.

I am a bit scare to not being able to boot again in windows if I fiddle with grub. I may settle on this OS for a while.
Tx

windows is known for messing linux grub, so reinstalling grub as outlined above is the solution…

before i try your command, it is very different then the one I use. How does it knows where to put the loader ? I have 6 hd/ssd and I don’t see anything specified in your command.

To be sure “grub-install” and “mkinitcpio” are two separate commands in your line, right ?

you do this from chroot; the chroot command above detects automatically your manjaro installation…
yes the first ‘grub install’ comand reinstalls grub for uefi (–efi-directory=/boot/efi), if there are no errors you run the second command, to update it… and then you do the rest of the commands for grub menu to be shown during boot …

@joseph1

this is helpful to read:

It’s back ! It works. I had to return to my bios(uefi) to select the “manjaro” boot entry through because after the fixes, it through me back to the “windows loader”. The menu works fine now.

Thanks you very much for your help brahma ! Another bit+ to my poor Linux knowledge.

You could try is using the Manjaro USB drive to manually update the GRUB configuration, but it sounds like you’ve already done that.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.